Take me Instead

Athena

I was sobbing and begging the hulk man to let me go, hitting his shirtless chest with my fists even though it was doing nothing. Looking up I could see through my tears that Radford had joined the middle of the crowd and someone gave him a sword. A Sword! HOLY UNICORNS! Now that he had it in his hands I knew that i had to save Warric. Somehow i had to stop this.

The jerk looked so calm like lopping off someone’s head was a normal every day occurrence. Anger broke through my hysteria and I acted without thought. "NO!" was the only thing I could process in my head to scream. My foot came down on hulk man's foot, which was bare thank the heavens... That distracted him long enough for me to bite the arm holding me in place.

I could hear cursing from Hulk man behind me but I wasn’t focused on him any longer. There was only one thing that mattered.

Warric looked at me when I screamed and recognition crossed his face. Relief crossed his face for a split second before a look of fear replaced it. I was already sprinting towards him shoving through the shocked crowd. Anyone in my way was shoved and those who were trying to catch me I was quick to slip by. I dove between legs and ducked under reaching arms.

I was almost there. I had no idea what I was going to do but I had to stop this. Warric couldn't die. I wont let it happen. Only a few more feet to go...

Arms caught me around the middle again just as I was about to reach him. I looked up into hulk man's face. He caught me again even after I sprinted. Stupid wolf speed. I looked over to Radford and he had a small mischievous smile while holding the sword in his hand.

“Athena, you aren’t supposed to be here. Rogue wolves are dangerous for little girls like you.” He sounded sincere but that smirk was still on his face.

“Let him go!” i shouted at him.

“Temper, temper. Yelling gets you nowhere.” His smile brightened and he turned to Warric. “Now where were we? AAhhh... yes... your head.”

“Please Radford, no dont do this!” tears were streaming down my face and if I wasn’t being held up I would most likely be a slumped pile of useless.

Radford cocked his head while looking at me. For the first time his almost black eyes weren’t accusing. I couldn’t read what was in them though.

Warric was looking at me with wide eyes. One was almost swollen shut and there was a dribble of blood running down his chin. I could see his wrists were raw and bleeding as were his ankles. He must have been through so much and it was all because of me.

“Let me take his place” it came out as hardly a whisper.

Radford’s smile widened and he looked almost thrilled. Warric on the other hand was not.

“NO i wont allow it!” Warric must have found his voice.

“Its all my fault!” I screamed back.

He looked confused.

“I always mess everything up! My family didn’t even want me! I screwed up your family! Jiro almost lost his mate! And ..... You are going to loose your life!” And the tears and snot were flowing down my face I couldn’t hardly breathe. “I ca-can’t lose anything else.”

“Okay” Was Radford's only reply. With a flick of his wrist people jumped into action. Warric was unstaked from the ground but still had his wrists tied. Hulk man was shifting my hands behind my back as Was being helped up.

Warric was shouting that it wasn’t okay but I blocked him out. This was for all of them. Of course. I love them and never wanted to hurt anyone. I knew that the fun care free me was gone and I would never be happy again. I would just drift from town to town and make a little cash to get me to the next town. So this was the only way to make it right.

Warric was forcefully being led away. I glanced around me and seen familiar faces all around. I had served all these people in the diner. Knew most by name and how they liked their coffee. I found Jiro still in the back of the crowd being held back by big burley men. He was holding Tara Sue and they were both crying. Oakley was next to them clinging to Sandy. They knew there was nothing they could do.

As Warric was passing by I stopped them. “Wait! One last thing!”

I stepped up in front of Warric and said quietly to him “ Can the girl about to get her head lopped off for you have a goodbye kiss?” I tried to smile and make it a joke. But I really wanted one good thing to be on my mind in the end.

I stood up on my tip toes to reach him. My hands were tied behind my back so it was a little awkward and i longed to run my fingers through his thick black hair. His grey eyes looked almost silver with unshed tears but he gently cupped my face in his hands. The ropes scratched my cheeks some but all thought flew out of my head when his lips met mine.

************************

I know its short. I wish I could post longer chapters but I would rather do small amounts and let you read more often than once a month lol. If I don't write a little and post it I tend to forget that I have a half finished chapter.

Oh and Radford isn't as much of a prick as you think.... Promise. Sneaky bastard is what he is. Have a great weekend and enjoy!!!

xoxo