Part 16: Surprise

You woke up early the next morning. It was about 7:00 according to the alarm clock next to your bed. Your old room was quite small and unremarkable. It had a desk in the left corner of the room, a decent closet, and some electronics strewn about. You see that Ela is still asleep on your chest, her arms wrapped around your body for comfort. This was going to be difficult to get out of. You slowly tried to lift her arms away from your body so you could go and get breakfast started. To your disappointment, Ela caught you in the act of trying to escape. "Where do you think you're going?" she asked, tightening her grip. "To go make you some food, your highness." you say jokingly. "Just 10 more minutes." she said, tightening her grip some more. "As much as I wish I could, I want food." you said to her. She still resisted. You decided then to get out of bed and drag her downstairs with you. She kept her grip of the entire journey from your second floor bedroom to the kitchen. Your parents weren't up yet. They had always been late risers. Your first instinct was to turn on the coffee maker and the morning news, to catch up on some of the events in the world. You then went over to the fridge to grab some milk, eggs and some butter. You then mix some flour, salt, sugar, and some baking powder in a bowl. You combine all the ingredients and begin to pour the batter into a hot pan. You decided to make some pancakes for everyone. Ela watched intently, it seemed like she never blinked. She watched you as you expertly fried and flipped the pancakes. "How do you do that?' she asked as you flipped a pancake in the air. "It's a secret." you say jokingly. You get some toppings out and heat up some maple syrup in the microwave. You keep the extras in the oven for when your parents come down. You and Ela were both famished and couldn't wait any longer. You grabbed your pancakes and your assorted topping and sit out on the back porch, looking out into the forest. It was one of those incredibly quiet mornings. There was hardly a breeze. Everything was perfectly still. You sat and enjoyed the quiet while you two dug into your breakfast. "You need to teach me how to cook Y/N." Ela said, breaking the silence. "Yeah, we definitely have some time to practice." you reply. "Truth be told though, my mother would probably be a better teacher than me." you admitted.

You two finished your breakfast, and sat together, holding hands for some time. You head back in and catch your father getting a big helping of your pancakes. "Leave some for mom." you say to him. "Hey, first come first served." he said with a laugh. Ela offers to clean the dishes for you, which you didn't object to. You decided to go upstairs and get dressed. You put on a pair of jeans and an old T-Shirt from your university days. And head back downstairs to sit outside some more. You sat for about 20 minutes before Ela came out and joined you. She was wearing her sweater and her favorite yoga pants. She took the seat next to you. You sat together for a little bit, thinking about what to do. "Why don't we go into the forest and do some exploring." you say to her. "Bet you can't catch me." she said with a devilish smile before darting off to the treeline. "Wait what?" you say darting after her. She was quite fast, but she followed the trail. You knew these woods like the back of your hand, and decided to take a shortcut that would put you in front of her. You darted through the forest, dodging trees and branches, until you came up on the trail. You didn't see any fresh prints so you beat her to this spot. You hid in the small bushes along the side of the trail. A couple of seconds later you heard footsteps running down the trail. You were able to see a small, green haired person running along the trail. You jumped out as she approached. "Boo!" you say jumping out of the bush. She skidded to a halt and screamed a little before falling backwards onto the trail. "How did you... what?" she was incredibly confused. "While you can beat me in a flat out sprint. I have the advantage of having grown up in these woods. So I took a little detour off the main path." you said helping her up. "You cheated then." she said punching your shoulder playfully. "I didn't cheat, I used my knowledge to create an opportunity to win." you said with a smile. "That sure is a fancy way of saying cheating." she said with a smile. You two then walked through the forest for some time before you two came upon the lake that you and your father used to fish in. You and Ela made your way to the end of the dock, and looked out across the lake "I used to fish a lot in this lake." you say to her. "Did you ever swim here?" she asked. "Off course." you reply. "Good." she said with a seriously devilish smile. She then pushed you firmly in the chest, making you lose balance, and fall into the lake. This was probably some revenge for you taking a shortcut. However all did not go according to her plan. You were able to grab her arm as you fell in, pulling her in with you. You both landed in the relatively chilly lake with a large splash. You both surface and begin to laugh. "Thought it would be that easy, huh?" you said to her while treading water. "I tried to get you back." she said as you two climbed up the dock. You headed back to the house to get changed, holding each other to try to stay somewhat warm.