|| 056 - Fighting Back ||

~ He whom the gods love dies young.

~Menander

~

"I'm standing right here y'know?" Hades grumbled under his breath, crossing his arms and tapping his foot. His face still didn't budge from looking like a miserable old goat.

"Hades, you know that I never wanted to leave you, in fact, I knew that you weren't cheating on me or using me." Her touch didn't dare to detach from my hand, nor AJ's. Actually, she had formed in the Sinner's line.

"Really? How could I be so sure?" He responded sarcastically.

Persephone was having none of it. My mother wasn't the type of woman to let anyone talk her down. I admired that so much about her, her blunt courage that didn't need no taming. She gripped my hand even tighter.

"Stop patronising me! I'm not one of your slaves that you can talk down to. Now, I don't want to talk about us, because we both know that it's never gonna blossom again as much as I'd want it to. But what it's about is these poor children. How could you be so brazen about what you're doing to them? Your permanent temper tantrum needs to stop as you're taking everything out on these kids. They don't deserve any of it. And as a mother to Ely and Ajax, I despise you with a mighty passion for abusing my flesh and blood, that's what you're doing, abusing them. And I'm not gonna tolerate it." Her powerful speech touched the hearts of us all. But god only knows how much she hoped for it to touch her ex husband's.

He still wasn't giving us an answer. Just continuing to stand there like a stubborn teenager. Yet, his shifty eyes rolled over to the box that Eron still had in his hands every now and then. Now I really wanted to string an answer out of him this instant. Our lives were being wasted away.

And it was all because of him.

"Well it's them who've made me like this."

"No! It's the women you married. And yourself are to blame, for being so clueless. So before you go throwing your toys out the pram again, these young children are the last ones to blame for your misfortune. It's their mothers, you....and me." She sure put him in his place. And they both knew that he didn't have the balls to do anything to her. When it came to her, no one stood a chance.

"Please. Just let us have proper lives to live." Dion spoke quietly, afraid of the outcome.

Hades just couldn't stop looking at that box. Now was the time to question his suspicious actions.

"What's so special about that box? You get it as a birthday present or something?" I jeered naturally.

"E, leave it." Gia pleaded discreetly, concerned about my actions towards the holder of our destinies.

"Or perhaps it has something we ought to know about inside of it." I wondered, staring him down. Suddenly he looked so frightened.

"What's the matter? Hit a weak spot, have I?" I continued to interrogate.

I knew that I definitely knocked him off guard. With his eyes frantically darting round, every chance he had. And with that, just had to trust my gut feeling about what I thought was in that box. It was a long shot, but it was better than nothing.

"I bet that little green light has got something to do with us. Maybe it could be the key to our freedom."

"What rubbish are you spouting now?"

"Oh don't deny it, I know a liar when I see one. And believe me, you've got the shiftiest eyes ever created, mate. What if I were to knock that box right out of Ron's hands right now?" I inquired, curious to know his answer.

"Then I'd knock your bleeding head off." Charming.

"I knew it. I have a suspicion that whatever's in that box, is all of the qualities we're supposed to have. Our heavenly virtues, instead of our deadly sins. And you perhaps hid it in Mum's room in Olympus because there'd be such a slim chance of anyone finding it, especially us."

I was filled with so much confidence in my theory. No second guesses needed, as there was all of a sudden a strong strike of certainty became injected into my body. I genuinely had strong confidence that it was the power of my mother beside me.

"Just hand the box over." He stated coldly. I gestured to Eron to pass it over to me and let me do the honours, which my actions went according to plan. And thanks to the looks I was getting of everyone, however Mum in particular, I met everybody's demand.

Walking closer and closer towards the poisonous sack of vermin gawping at me. Whoops! My butter fingers suddenly came out to play, absentmindedly watching the box slip through my fingers.

"CHRIST!! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE YOU STUPID IDIOT!!!?"