Forever and Always [KH][Terra]

My favorite type of drabble to write are the sad ones. Sorry.

_________________

You sat at the table nervously. It was nearing 7 PM and with every passing minute your heart grew heavier. Terra's work day ended at 5 and he always came home before doing anything else. If he did have something else planned he would called. He always called. You leaned back in your seat for the millionth time looking for a familiar vehicle, but once again the driveway was bare of any car other than your own. A sigh escaped your lips as you tiredly buried your face into your hands. Five minutes later the home phone rang breaking the painful silence that had built up in your warm home.

You jumped out of your seat not even flinching when it fell over with a crash. You ripped the phone off the hook and brought it to your ear.

"Terra?!"

It wasn't Terra. It was a woman that you didn't know speaking in a voice you had never heard before. A few words floated right by your head.

Emergency. Something happened. Come right now.

The phone fell out of your hand and after a second of utter disbelief you sprinted out the door with your keys.

Snow fell in fat flakes and you were buried under two jackets and a scarf. Terra's hand held yours tightly as he led you through the park. It was midday, but due to the snow and cold, most people weren't milling about. Usually you'd be one of those people, but with Terra's hand in yours you felt warm enough.

He gradually pulled you to a stop. You turned slightly to look at him in confusion. Terra smiled, "Forever and Always."

"Forever and Always?" You questioned, turning your entire body to face him.

He nodded, "That's how long I want you for. Through the good, the bad, and the ugly." Terra chuckled, "I- I want us to grow old together, to be together forever and always."

"Terra...?" Your voice trailed off as he knelt down on one knee. Your eyes widened in surprise, but it was matched with your growing grin. He pulled out a small box from his coat pocket.

As your car skidded to a stop in front of the hospital your eyes danced over the silver engagement ring on your left hand. You swallowed the lump in your throat and rushed out of the car. You probably weren't supposed to park there but you didn't care. Let them tow you away.

The lady at the front desk must have realized who you were from the frazzled look and tears. She said a few words and began to lead you down the never ending maze of hallways. White walls and white floors surrounded you and you began to feel sick. A doctor stood outside a room and stopped the two of you. He spoke softly, saying sorry almost every sentence. You couldn't comprehend his words.

"Tried to mug him...gunshot...we don't know how long."

Without even waiting for the doctor to finish speaking you stepped into the hospital room to see Terra lying in bed. He looked exhausted and broken. His tired eyes fought to stay open, but when he saw you a smile appeared. You didn't cry. You couldn't cry. You kept a straight face, fighting the onslaught of emotions trying to overwhelm you.

You walked over to him, taking his hand, and sat down. Your knuckles were white as you squeezed his hand, but Terra didn't complain.

"I'm sorry, [Name]. I'm dy-"

You shook your head, "We can move to the beach." His gaze softened as you continued, "I know you always said you wanted to live in a house by the beach, but I wanted to stay in the city. We can move. I hear Destiny Islands is beautiful."

"Yeah." Terra replied softly, weakly, "Great for...kids too. The school system is fantastic there."

You laughed, "Exactly. Plus he could grow up on the beach."

"He?"

"Yeah", You bit back tears and forced the smile to stay on your face, "Our son. He'll look like you and he'll have your laugh. You'll teach him how to throw a football and- and- how to ride a bike."

Terra shook his head, "Well you can't forget our daughter. She'll be gorgeous just like you, and so strong and so...so stubborn."

You leaned forward suddenly pressing your lips against his. Terra returned the kiss, but it was so faint. You pulled away to lean your forward against his. Your eyes glanced down at the silver band engagement ring on his own finger. An idea formed immediately.

"Hang on." You breathed and turned to the doctor in the doorway, "I need a chaplain. Please, now."

The chaplain came a few minutes later along with curious nurses and patients. You paid no mind to the audience outside your door with tears in their eyes. You only focused on Terra. The chaplain spoke a few words.

"Your vows?" He asked.

You were lying in the bed beside Terra, your forehead against his and your hand intertwined with his as well. Tears welled up in your eyes but you smiled, "I want you forever, Terra. Forever and Always. Through the good, and the bad, and the ugly. We're going to grow old together and no matter what- whether happy, or sad- we'll always remember that we love each other."

The chaplain continued and finished as you pressed your lips to Terra's weak ones. The crowd had begun to disperse, and Terra had grown weaker. The steady beeping of the machine hooked to him was beginning to slow.

"I love you." He said softly. Terra's voice was low. He was fading. He was slipping right from your grip. You heart was beginning to unravel at the seams, but you forced yourself to hold a smile for him. Terra continued, "Please, remember that. Even if I'm- I'm not here. I love you, [Name]. Forever and always."

His eyes fluttered close and the slowing beeps flat lined. The smile fell off your face and sobs racked your body as you held onto Terra. Your dreams of a house by the beach and children slipping away with him.