The Game Piece

I wrote this for one reason.

I wanted to see how formatting would look if I pasted this straigtht from MS. Usually, I type it on my phone, send it to word, edit it on word, and then paste it to Wattpad (I'm getting tired just thinking about it). SO I'm testing a new way to type out my stories.

This is a drabble in the sense that's it's just another one of my million story ideas that i probably wont follow through on haha. So sorry if you thought I was updating something else.

_______________

Every four seconds another light passed over your blindfolded eyes. You could tell because the dark cloth would grow lighter for a few moments. It must have been the highway. That’s the only place where a long row of lights like this would continually shine. You knew the lights were four seconds apart because you had been counting for hours now.

1, 2, 3, 4. 1, 2, 3, 4. 1, 2, 3, 4.

What else could she do? You were lying across the backseat of a car with your hands and feet bound tightly. In fact, you hadn’t been able to feel your hands for about an hour now and you figured that wasn’t the best sign.

“Why her?” It was a muffled voice. You couldn’t hear it well, and you weren’t sure why. It wasn’t as if your ears were covered, only your eyes and mouth were.

“I don’t ask questions, I just do as I’m told.”

You had stopped crying a while ago. Just like you had stopped begging your captors with muffled sobs through the duct tape over your mouth. There was no point. They had stolen you away in the night and by time anyone figured out you were gone it’d be too late. You’d probably be at the bottom of the lake outside of town or mangled in a ditch. Either way you’d be dead.

Dead.

You were only 23 years old. You couldn’t die yet. You still had so much to do, so much to see, so much to learn. That’s where your mind escaped to when your captors conversation turned to the weather. You thought about the things you loved: your family, your friends, good food, naps. The things you wouldn’t get to do: say hi to that cute guy in your class, dance in the rain, graduate from college. You even thought about the things you never thought you’d miss.

‘I’d do pages of calculus homework for just one more day.’ You pleaded in your mind, ‘I just want one more day. I don’t want to die, I’m not ready.’

It was quiet in your mind as you counted the time between each light again. This highway stretched on forever. They must have driven out of you city by now.

1, 2, 3, 4. 1, 2, 3, 4. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7…

There were no more lights. You shifted your weight nervously. Did that mean you were closer to where they were taking you? Suddenly, the darkness was interrupted by a large flash of light. Even with your eyes blindfolded it began to hurt, so you shut your eyes tightly as a whimper slipped your lips. When the light died down, the car jerked to a stop. You nearly rolled off the backseat. Car doors were opened and shut, and then you felt the door by your feet open. Cold air nipped at your bare feet. You had lost your flip flops when struggling against them in the parking lot of your dorm building.

Thick hands wrapped around your legs and pulled you out of the car. You began to trash around as someone held your legs and someone else hooked their hands under your arms. They walked a few feet with your wiggling in their arms, and then dropped you on rough stones. You could feel the rock under your tied hands. It was cool to the touch, and arranged in a level pattern. It felt like a stone road of sorts. The rope on your feet was cut, but before you could kick out a heavy metal cuff was hooked onto each ankle. You lifted your feet only to realize they could only go up to far. It must have been chained to the stone. A man grabbed you roughly forced something around your neck. As you moved around it dangled loosely around you. Did he put a necklace on you?

“Enjoy your stay.” Your captor’s voice said before you could hear their receding footsteps. You let out a muffled cry to them, but the cold night quickly became silent. Was this to be your fate? They chained you up in the middle of nowhere for you to die from the elements? The longer you sat there the colder it became. The night air began to settle on your bare arms, and you couldn’t help but wonder why it was so cold. It was mid-Spring for crying out loud.

You couldn’t possibly tell how much time passed. Minutes felt like hours to you. Eventually though, you heard the sound of footsteps. You didn’t realize you could feel this much relief and fear at the same time. This could be someone coming to save you, or it could very well be the person to end your life. A light passed over your blindfold, but it was dimmer than the one’s from the car ride and smaller. You would’ve guessed a flashlight.

“Holy-”, The voice was male, it sounded young, maybe around your age, “There’s someone on the platform!”

Rushed footsteps and a new voice. Still male, but deeper, older. “Ours or theirs?”

Neither. It’s the one in the middle.”

There was a pregnant pause that lasted until you began to scream into the duct tape. They didn’t sound like killers, but that didn’t mean anything. Either way you were done sitting in the cold waiting for something to happen. If they were going to kill you, you wanted them to get it over with.

“Hurry. Help me get her.” The deeper voice demanded. “Before they come.”

“The glass is broken. Just like the rules said.”, The younger voice said as someone messed with the chains around your feet, “They’ll know she came, they’ll come to our camp looking.”

Warm hands gently wrapped around your arms and helped you to your feet.  The moment you stood all the way up something began to burn your skin at the end of the necklace the man wrapped around your neck. It wasn’t burning you with heat. Whatever it was was so cold that it seemed to sting your skin. You let out a muffled cry. You heard a distinct crack before you collapsed to the ground barely conscious. The cold air around you seemed to grow warmer as the goose bumps disappeared. You fell asleep peacefully.