Undercover [SHIELD][Leo Fitz]

Also for you, Carixe! Let me know what you think! This is my first time writing for Fitz and I'm kinda using it as practice for Ghost haha.

__________________

[Name] and Fitz pretend to be in a relationship for the purpose of an undercover mission.

__________________

Leo Fitz shoved another finger food into his mouth and tried to ignore the panic that was settling in his stomach. Why was he freaking out? Why was he panicking? Sure, he didn't like field missions, but this could barely be considering a field mission. This wasn't the first time he had to go undercover. So why was he freaking the hell out?

"Maybe you should focus your attention on something other than the banquet bar?"

Fitz nearly choked on the food in his mouth at the sound of Ward's voice. He glanced over to see the tall, broad agent standing beside him in his own formal attire. Ward wasn't looking at Fitz and had spoken quietly as to not draw attention. Fitz dusted the crumbs off his hands and readjusted the bow tie around his neck. His formal attire looked like a monkey suit compared to Ward's. It was essentially the same suit, yet Fitz still felt like he was inferior compared the field agent beside him.

"Calm down." Ward murmured again before taking a sip from the champagne in his glass.

"Easy for you to say." Fitz muttered and took a deep breath, "Shouldn't you be the one in my position? You'd be better at convincing the target-"

"Stay focused." Coulson interrupted in Fitz ear and he was sure Ward had heard the same.

Ward cleared his throat, "You sure it's the talking to the minister that you're nervous about?"

"What's that supposed to mean?" Fitz hissed under his breath.

"What did I just say?" Coulson repeated into their ears.

Ward shifted his weight, "[Name]'ll reel the target in and get you back there. All you have to do is a little small talk and then hack their system." His eyes glanced over his shoulder, "Here they come."

Fitz turned around slowly and caught sight of you crossing the crowded room filled with finely dressed people with a man beside you. He swallowed the lump that had formed in his throat at the sight of you. You were laughing rather bubbly at whatever the man had just said. Your hair was pulled back into an intricate up-do and you wore a long white gown with gold accents that hung against your figure nicely.

Fitz glanced over to see Ward check you out briefly before leaving the area to move into his position. He took a deep breath and straightened his posture. He could do this. This was just another undercover mission. No need to be so nervous.

Your [eye color] eyes landed on him and a wide grin spread across your features making Fitz's heart skip a beat in his chest. You rushed over pulling the man along with you, "Luke, darling!" He forced a smile as you tore yourself off the new man and wrapped your arm around his waist. You glanced from him back to the man, "Minister, this is my fiancé, Luke Fair. Luke, this is the Minister of-"

"Minister of Defense. Mr. George Jones." Fitz finished with a smile. He stretched his hand out, "It is an honor to meet you, sir."

The minister shook his hand, "To you as well. You have quite the woman on your arm there, Mr. Fair." He winked at you, "You should watch where she wanders."

You forced a giggle beside him and Fitz wrapped his arm around you. He didn't like the way the Minister was dragging his eyes across your body. You waved your handheld purse at him, "Oh don't be silly, Mr. Jones. Luke knows I'm faithful."

Fitz tried not to tense up when you pushed yourself upwards to plant a kiss at the edge of your lips. He couldn't hold back the smile that spread across his features though.

"So", You spoke again with a bat of your eyelashes, "Is there anyway we can get to that VIP room?"

"I suppose." He replied and motioned for them to follow him.

"Good work." Coulson said in their ears, "Ward, keep moving."

"What business are you in, Fair?" He questioned making Fitz jump. You laced your fingers through his making it hard to focus.

Fitz cleared his throat, "I work in Engineering."

"I see. That sounds interesting."

"It isn't anything special." Fitz replied quickly, "I work for a rather small engineering company. We work in small deals."

The Minister seemed rather bored of the subject and continued to the back toward a door. He knocked on it three times in a row and a panel opened on the side. He pressed his hand against the panel and the door opened.

"Enjoy the real party." He said and focused his eyes on you, "And if you get bored..."

You winked at him before dragging Fitz through the door. It shut behind the two of you and both of you headed down a dim hallway.

"You did- You did good." Fitz commented and glanced at his hand, which was still intertwined with yours.

You chuckled, "I was about three seconds from stabbing that guy. I hate acting like an airhead."

"You're very good at it." Fitz replied then paused, "Not that- Wait, I'm not saying you're good at it because you are one. You've very smart. Not an airhead in the slightest. You're good at pretending to be one."

"Don't hurt yourself, Fitz." You whispered with a smile.

Down the hall to the right was a VIP room filled with the rich and famous drinking it up, but to the left was a control panel that would give Shield access to the information they needed. Fitz and you headed to the left and the moment Fitz saw the panel he calmed down. This was the easy part. No need to be nervous in the slightest.

"I'll keep watch." You said and took a few steps away from him while he worked. As he tore the panel off and got to the wires he let his mind wander briefly. Was he nervous because of you? Ok, so that was part of it. Actually, that was basically all of it. You were just so... mesmerizing. Fitz usually kept his distance from you because he hated looking like an idiot and whenever he spoke to you it seemed like that's all that happened.

He sighed and clipped the bug onto the main wire, "Got it. Tell Skye to start."

"She already did." Coulson replied.

Fitz replaced the panel over the wires just as he heard you quietly curse. He glanced up to see you rushing toward him, "What's wrong?"

"Someone's coming." You answered, "Follow my lead."

He nodded, but didn't expect what happened next. You pressed yourself against the wall and then grabbed the collar of his suit jacket pulling him to you. Fitz's eyes widened as you grabbed his hands and placed them on your hips. Then you pushed yourself upwards and pressed your lips against his.

That went from zero to sixty before Fitz could even take a breath. You wrapped your hands around his neck and kept your lips against his. Fitz's eyes fluttered closed as he returned the kiss only after a short moment of hesitation. The sound of footsteps could be heard, but Fitz could only focus on your lips and the feeling of your tongue running across his bottom lip.

The footsteps came to a sudden stop and someone cleared their throat, "Oh, um, sorry."

The footsteps rushed away. The fact that they hadn't yelled at you for being where you are made Fitz think that it must have been someone from the VIP room rather than a guard.

"The coast is clear now." Coulson said bluntly.

Fitz pulled back in surprise. You chuckled to yourself and grabbed his hand, "Let's blow this popsicle stand, hmm Fitz?"

"I, uh, yes." He nodded and followed you back down the hall. Fitz liked this undercover mission a lot more than his last.