Part 13

Mrs.B: What do you say Raman ? Ishita is visibly pregnant. How can you be the father ?

Ishita was still crying. Mihika stood by her and held her hand. Mrs.Bhalla looked at Amma.

Mrs.B: Your daughter's husband Died in a car accident, right ?

Amma did not say anything, she looked at Raman and thought. "Ishita told us she didn't know who the father is."

R: Maa, we want to talk to you. With you, Papa and Ishita's parents.

Mrs.Bhalla nodded and sent the others out. Ishita was shaking all over. She was scared. They all sit down at the table.

Mrs.B Raman, what's going on ?

R: I am the father, Papa, do you still remember the client from Chennai.?

Mr.Bhalla nodded.

R: I met Ishita in Chennai 6 months ago.
and then ... then... Raman was embarrassed. Ishita looked down and wanted to die.

Then what ? Mrs.Bhalla said loudly.

Amma looked at Ishita.
A: You knew who and where the father is all the time ?

Ishita did not want to say anything the entire conversation was embarrassing. Just like 6 months ago.

Mrs.B: How did that happen and how can you be sure that it is your child ?

A: What does that mean ? Do you think my daughter is looking for a father for her child.?
Your son is as involved as my daughter. This always includes two.!

R:Please, it is embarrassing enough,we will not tell any details. I am the father, I know that 100%. Ishita did not know, where I am and that we became neighbors here, was coincidence.

Mrs.B : What about her dead husband ? Apparently you also lied, why should not you also lie about Raman being the father ?

Ishita got up, she just wanted to get out of here. Raman held her by her arm.

R: I don't want to go into details, but there was no other man before. I hope you understand what I mean Ma. Let me take my responsibility.

Mr.B:  Toshi, the girl is pregnant with our grandchild. Stop questioning it !

Raman looked at Appa

R: I am sorry... I will marry Ishita and give my name to my child. I will take the responsibility.

Mrs.B: what's about society ? Ishita Is  visible pregnant .Grand wedding is not possible .

R: I thought we just go for a court marriage . And the society ... no idea...tell them that I married Ishita 6 months ago and did not tell you, What ever!

Ishita did not speak a word. Mrs.Bhalla was not convinced, but what should she do ?  If the child really was Raman then he should take responsibility, but she did not trust Ishita.

Amma was not thrilled either, but she knew that it was best for Ishita and the baby. But she would keep an eye on Raman and especially his mother.

Amma ask about Temple marriage with all Rituals . Raman promised her that they would catch up.

Iyer"s and Balla"s discussed everything else, and then Iyer"s left.

Ishita had been quiet the whole time and even now she said no word. She did not look her parents in the eye. Everything was so unreal.  She went straight to her room, she did not want to talk. But her mother followed her.

A: Ishu did you lie to us, did you know all the time where the child's father was ?

I: No Amma, I swear I did not know, that we met again here in Delhi was coincidence.

A: Nahi mera bachcha, That was no coincidence, that was fate.

Later, when Ishita lay in her bed, she was thinking about everything. She would actually marry Raman Bhalla, the father of her child. But it is not a love marriage, but a kind of contract. Raman did not love her or the baby, he did his duty because he felt guilty.

Ishita was not sure what she felt for Raman. He was the father of her child. In this one night, she had fallen in love with him, but the next morning, reality has brought back to the bottom of the facts.
She had only been one of many women for Raman.

It means nothing to him, it was just a One Night Stand. And she had been so stupid and naive, not for the first time, she wondered, Should she regret this night ?

She stroked her stomach, should she regret her child ? No, her baby was innocent. She could never regret her own child.
"One year Ishita, one year and then you can go further."

Raman was lying in bed thinking too.
"You will really become a father Raman."

One night,in which he was careless and his whole life will not be the same anymore. Soon, a small life would come into the world, he had to take care of .No matter if he loved the mother or not. He still tried to understand everything, everything happened so fast.

"One year Raman, one year and you can go further."

To be continued