Derek: Gone

I had expected Courtney to track me down and skin me alive, but it had been two days since Kristin and I made love and I was still unharmed. I couldn’t help but smile as I got out of the car and headed towards my locker, and everyone was looking at me with worried faces like I was a bomb about to explode which made me smirk even more.
Kristin’s car was in the parking lot although she wasn’t outside which meant she must've been inside already.
The hallway was buzzing with life and there were students in groups chatting about their lame weekends although I couldn’t see Kristin and she wasn’t with Dee and Cassie who were chatting with Cory and Trevor, but as I reached my locker I just shrugged it off.  Kristin was in my first period English class which started in less than ten minutes, I’d see her then.
“I said Derek Hale,” Mrs Well’s called my name again. She was marking the attendance roll but I couldn’t focus. Kristin wasn’t in class and I had a bad feeling. My instincts were telling me there was something wrong.
She’s just taking her time, chill. My wolf ordered.
“Yeah,” I managed to say as I gripped the edge of the desk. I had to leave and find her. I wasn’t going to be able to do anything until I did. I had to know that she was okay. I stood to my feet and grabbed my books before I started to walk to the front of the room and out the door. I could hear the teacher calling after me but I ignored her.
I had to find Kristin.
I peered into every classroom as well as the toilets, and I even checked to make sure Kristin wasn’t in the principal’s office but she was nowhere. I was going to find Belle and ask her when she last saw Kristin.
Please be at home sick or something. I silently begged.
“Can I help you?” The old grumpy lady asked as I popped my head into the room.
“Yeah I just need to speak to Belle for a moment.”
All the young students were staring as they sat at their desks, and I gave them my usual ‘Don’t even look at me.’ Scowl and they turned their attention back to the teacher.
Little pansies. My wolf laughed.
“Make it quick,” the teacher ordered and nodded at Belle who walked out into the hallway.
“What’s going on?” Belle asked concerned. We had barely talked before. Kristin introduced us but that’s as far as my socialising with Belle went.
“When was the last time you saw Kristin?” I tried to sound fine and not worried, and I think I managed it.
“This morning when she drove us to school why?” Belle was looking at me with a raised eyebrow.
Shit crap.
 “Did you see where she went afterwards?”
“No, I just grabbed my bag and headed into school. What’s going on? Is she missing or something?”
“Nothing’s going on I’ll see you later,” I replied before I rushed out the corridor and went to her car. I could still smell her scent although I could also smell another scent. It was a werewolf, although it wasn’t a werewolf I knew.
What the hell? I felt the panic as it began to surge throughout my body.
I grabbed the keys from my pocket and sped out of the school car park and to Kristin’s house. Her mother’s car was still parked in the driveway and I parked across the street and basically ran to the front door.
“Courtney?” I yelled as I pounded on the door with my both of my hands. I heard her hurried footsteps as they rushed to the door and opened it.
“Derek? Why aren’t you in school?” Her blue eyes quizzed me although once she saw the horror on my face her expression turned grim, “What is it Derek?”
“I think Kristin is missing,” I couldn’t hide the fear or worry from my voice.
“Missing? What do you mean missing?” I heard Courtney’s heart as it began to pound rapidly.
“I mean she’s not at school but her car is and I smelled a wolf near her car.”
“But how is that even possible? Someone would have seen it happen?” Courtney’s heart was racing even more.
“Well I didn’t get the chance to ask other students. I walked out on class and searched the school for her.”
“And you’re sure- positive?” I could tell that Courtney was hoping that I was wrong and that Kristin was still at school, and I was wishing for the same thing although I knew better unfortunately.
“100%” I knew that wasn’t the answer Courtney wanted to hear but I didn’t see the point in lying, not when we couldn’t waste any time. Every minute counted and I had already wasted too many.
“But why Kristin? I don’t understand.”
“Neither do I. I’m going to go home and get some help,” I spoke before I ran across the road and got back into the car.
My father’s sense of smell was even stronger than mine and I held hope that he could follow Kristin’s scent from the car park.
My instincts were never wrong and at that moment it was telling me that we needed to find Kristin and that her life was in danger.
“Dad!” I yelled as soon as I got out of the car. He was an accountant and worked from home.
“What is it Derek?” My father met me at the front door, and I could tell he had pulled an all-nighter. His green eyes were bloodshot and his olive skin looked paler than usual. He worked far too hard.
“A wolf took Kristin from school. I need you to come with me to the car park and help me follow her scent.”
“If it was a wolf they wouldn’t be so careless as to leave her scent to be followed Derek.”
My father knew something, I could tell by the sound of his voice, “What do you know?”
“I don’t know anything for sure but May- Julian’s mother told me that Julian is missing and that he never made it back home.”
“But why would they take Kristin? She didn’t do anything to him;” I was even more confused than before. What did Julian’s disappearance have to do with Kristin?
“I don’t know, but it could be his wife, his mate. Kristin was the reason Julian came to town after all. You didn’t do anything to Julian did you?”
“No it wasn’t me, as much as I wanted to.”
“Well that leaves Courtney or Nora," my father replied.
“You really think his mate kidnapped Kristin?”
“You said it was a werewolf and you know I don’t believe in coincidences. Julian’s missing, most likely dead and now Kristin is missing too. We have to find her but it’s not going to be easy,” I could hear the doubt in my father’s voice.
“We need to find her!”
“I know but she will have covered her tracks, I can guarantee you that.”
My father drove us to the school parking lot, and we started to follow Kristin’s scent although just as my father predicted, we lost it in the middle of town.
“What now? What the hell are we meant to do now?” I asked. We were parked on the side of the road that led through and out of town. I felt helpless and pathetic and worst of all I had let Kristin down, but I had no idea of how to find her without tracing her scent.
“I don’t know Derek. I wish I did but I don’t know her personally. I barely know Julian.”
“What if Kristin's already dead?” I couldn’t bear the thought.
No she’s not dead she can’t be dead. I told myself.
“You’ve tried Kristin's phone?”
“Yeah it goes straight to voicemail.”
“Maybe she wants to do a trade?” My father suggested.
“We don’t have Julian to trade with.”
“But she doesn’t have to know that.”
I was starting to feel some hope that if she wanted Julian than it would mean that she wouldn’t kill Kristin, not until after she found out we didn’t have him. We could arrange a meeting for the swap, and save Kristin before Julian’s mate found out the truth.
“I can’t believe we’re stuck hypothesising rather than tracking her down,” I fumed. I hated not being able to do anything. Kristin could have been getting tortured, she needed me to save her.
“I know son. I’m so sorry.”
“You don’t need to be sorry we’re going to find her.”
We have to find her! I spoke to myself.

THANKS for reading! Did you enjoy it?
VOTECOMMENTFANADD TO LIBRARY... XOX