Kristin: Man from the past

I was being forced to eat dinner with my mother and one of her old acquaintances. She was still pissed about me skipping school yesterday and was treating me like a prisoner, but it was totally worth it!
Spending the day with Derek was exactly what I needed.
“So what have you been up to?” Grams asked Julian before she finished off her slice of pot roast. She couldn’t stop grinning from ear to ear, it was almost creepy not to mention it must have been painful to continuously grin for that long.
Don’t her cheeks hurt at all? And is she in love with him or something? I wondered to myself.
He wasn’t even that cute. He had a slight olive complexion, dark short hair and blue eyes but then again I was comparing him to super-hot actors like Jensen Ackles, and Chris Pine as well as many others.
Drool.
Grams had given me the lowdown on Julian before he arrived. He used to live in Beacon Hills and went to school with my mother. They started dating during sophomore year and even got engaged during their junior year, but my mother broke it off with Julian and got with my father during senior year which is when they got married, and moved from Beacon Hills and had my brother two years later.
My mother had talked about a boyfriend she had before my father, but she didn’t mention she had been engaged. I would have remembered that detail!
“Just running my many car dealerships,” He smiled and it sent chills down my spine, the bad kind.
“That must be great,” Grams chimed.
“What about you?” He turned his attention to my mother.
“I’m a nurse.”
“Oh wow giving back to the community that’s excellent,” He spoke before taking a sip of red wine.
“Someone’s got to do it,” she replied dryly and moved some peas around on her plate.
Maybe the night is a blessing in disguise. I thought silently.
My mother was practically squirming in her seat, and waiting for the dinner to be over and for Julian to be gone- it was great!
“What about you? Do you know what you want to do when you grow up?” Julian asked Belle who had barely said two words.
“I want to be a marine biologist.”
“Let me guess you love dolphins?” Julian asked.
I had wanted to be a marine biologist as well at Belle’s age although I learnt a couple of years ago that I didn’t get along with biology.
“Very much,” Belle smiled.
“I have a friend that works at Sea World in Orlando, I could get her to let you swim with the dolphins.”
Belle gasped in excitement while my mother gave Julian one of her famous scowls that made you want to duck for cover.
I felt the anger rise in my chest. Those poor beautiful creatures basically forced in cages.
“I can’t ask you to do that,” My mother replied and Belle’s smile vanished completely.
“Oh come on he’s offering Belle something great,” Grams tried to change my mother’s mind but I knew there was no use. For some reason she disliked Julian. I could tell by the way she looked at him.
But why? I wondered.
“I know but I can’t accept it. I’m sorry Belle,” My mother apologised although Belle still looked like she had just been told her beloved pet had died.
“So what brings you town?” I asked Julian. I had been sitting back and watching the conversation trying to gather Intel, and now it was my turn to ask the questions and make the situation even more awkward for my mother.
“I like to come back home every year or two, you know to visit my folks and  Nora of course,” He smiled sweetly at her and I swear she blushed for a second.
“So it has nothing to do with the fact that my mother is now single?”
All the grownups suddenly sat rigid. I guess they weren’t expecting that question.
Whoops. I smirked to myself.
Julian chuckled nervously before regaining his composure, “I didn’t know about your mother’s situation until I had already arrived in town.”
How convenient.
“So you’re not here to cut a slice?” I asked and Gram’s chocked on the mouthful of wine while my mother gasped in horror and Julian just laughed. I assumed at my straight forwardness.
“Kristin! That’s enough!” my mother screeched.
“Okay I’m sorry. I meant tap that, say hello to her little friend, rumple her sheets, get all up in her business, mow her lawn, stick your key in her ignition, bump uglies, do the horizontal mambo, bury the old hatchet, do some deep sea fishing, give my mother her shot of-”
“Kristin Lee Sparks that is enough!” My mother yelled and Julian continued to chuckle at my behaviour while Belle just looked confused, and my Grams was somewhere in between amused and shocked.
PENIScilin. I finished silently.
“You are a funny character,” Julian chuckled and looked at me.
“I’m sorry she is just acting out,” My mother apologised on my behalf and I rolled my eyes. He clearly wasn’t offended but she still felt the need to over react as usual.
“We’ll talk about this later,” She said to me.
“Whatever,” I yawned.
“Who’s ready for dessert?” my grams shot to her feet.
“Only if it’s my favourite,” Julian smirked and I swear I saw my mother roll her eyes. Typical it was alright for her to do it, but not alright for me to do it.
“Pecan pie,” Grams smiled.
“The best Pecan pie in the world,” Julian continued to butter up my Grams who seemed to love it.
“Oh stop it you’ll make me blush,” She started to gather the plates.
Oh my god I’m living in a nightmare. I thought to myself but then I realised it was fifty times worse for my mother and it brought a smile to my lips.
“I’ll help,” My mother practically jumped to her feet and I watched as a smirk surfaced on Julian’s face.
“Have you swum with the dolphins?” Belle asked Julian after mom and grams had left the dining room.
“Yes a few times. It’s a lot of fun.”
“Maybe you could sneak me to there,” Belle whispered and it was kind of cute although there was no way I was going to let her go anywhere with him. There was something off about him although I had no idea what it was.
Julian chuckled at Belle’s request, “You’re mother would torture me then kill me, and bring me back to life to clean up the mess and then kill me all over again.”
“Besides there are other places you can swim with dolphins in a couple of year’s maybe, out in the ocean where they are free,” I gave Belle a hopeful smile and she just nodded and sighed.
“How is Beacon Hills treating you Kristin?” Julian asked and turned his attention to me.
“Great. So how long are you going to be in Beacon Hills?”
“Do you mean Beacon Hills or here?” his gaze flicked around the house.
“My mother doesn’t seem very interested in you.”
“She’s a great and stubborn woman but worth the wait,” Julian smiled.
“You can’t buy her off,” My mother had strong principals. She always used to say there was nothing more important than family, as well as self-respect and many other virtues.
“I know that.”
“So you’re just going to hang around town and try to win her back?” I tried not to visibly cringe at the thought, but I didn’t want him spending time here. I didn’t trust him at all and it was obvious my mother thought very little of him.
There had to be a reason for that.
“I haven’t decided yet,” He smiled as my mother and my grams entered the room with the plates of pecan pie.
“This is my favourite part about coming home,” Julian announced as grams put the pie on the table in front of him.
“Apple pie is better,” Belle spoke before she ate a mouthful of the dessert.
“Apple pie? Get out of here,” Julian smirked.
 “With ice-cream,” Belle added.
“Next time we’ll have both,” Gran assured her and Belle started smiling again. She had instantly forgotten about the dolphins at the mention of apple pie and ice-cream. How I wished I could forget about things that easily, like my Grams and Julian flirting.
There was definitely something up with him, he was good with kids and a gentleman? I wasn’t buying what he was selling.

THANKS for reading! Did you enjoy it? What do you think of Julian?
VOTECOMMENTFANADD TO LIBRARY... XOX