Derek: Unworthy opponent

It was just me in the basement. I had finished my weights workout and had moved onto push up and sit ups. The large room had one pathetic light which hung on a chain a few feet from the ceiling, and scarcely lit the room. I could hear the rest of my family on the floors above me. Their voices and footsteps echoed throughout the house and through the floor boards. My uncle Peter had arrived early to the family reunion as well as my uncle Aaron, his wife Victoria and their son Beau. During certain full moons our family would come together and celebrate together.

“Windmill, Windmill for the land,
Turn forever hand in hand,
Take it all there on your stride,
It is tinking, falling down,
Love forever love is free,
Let's turn forever you and me,
Windmill, windmill for the land,
Is everybody in?”

Feel Good Inc by The Gorillas blasted through the old school stereo. It was big and bulky and over ten years old, but did the job perfectly fine.

Up, down, up, down. I continued with my push ups.
“Hey bro I’m surprised you’re not with Kristin,” Laura teased as she made her way down the steps.
“She had a girl’s night with Dee and Cassie last night, and she’s at her uncle’s for lunch,” I didn’t have a mobile phone. I didn’t see the point so Kristin had to call the home phone, and everyone listened in on the conversation every time she called. Even my younger sister Cora had started teasing me about Kristin.
“Awwww it’s so cute how you know exactly where she is,” Laura laughed as she reached the bottom of the stairs.
Up, down, up, down. I ignored Laura and focussed on my breathing instead. I was happy Kristin and I weren’t one of the couples that had to be with each other 24/7. It still felt weird even acknowledging that Kristin and I was a couple.
It didn’t sound right.
Whipped little bitch. My inner wolf laughed and I ignored him.
“Oh come on don’t ignore me. I want to hear the goss!” Laura demanded.
“There is no goss!” I replied as I started doing one handed push ups . . . Like a boss.
“Everyone is still talking about the kiss and they are all betting on you to win the fight with Cory,” Laura took a few steps forward and sat on the bulky stereo.
“Well that’s not surprising,” I knew I sounded like a cocky prick but I was a werewolf and all my senses were heightened including my strength and speed. I could have killed him in one small punch without even breaking a sweat or trying.
“I don’t know what Kristin see’s in you,” Laura teased and gave me a grin letting me know she was joking.
“I’m going for a run,” I shot to my feet, ran up the stairs and headed out the front door. I knew Laura was going to get 100 times more annoying once she found out that Kristin and I were an item.
I had only been running for a few minutes when I heard a large ruckus as well as hissing and popping sounds. We had intruders and there seemed to be a few of them.
Just great that is exactly what I need. With my stealthy ninja skills I snuck up on them. Cory, Trevor and Rob were in the middle of the woods lighting cherry bombs and drinking alcohol.
Well that’s a pathetic way to spend a Sunday. I thought to myself.
“Dude just shut up. You’re not helping,” Trevor spoke before Cory lighted a cherry bomb.
Hiss.
Bang.
“Well I’m just saying he needs to get payback,” Rob had a bottle of empty Jack Daniels whiskey in his hand.
“Derek’s crazy. Remember that house that was burnt down three months ago?” Trevor asked them both.
“Yeah it was all over the news,” Cory answered.
“Remember all the rumours about Derek, about how he had done it? You need to leave this alone man,” Trevor warned him and I snickered, at least one of them had a brain and some common sense although I had nothing to do with that fire. I wasn’t psychotic, not to mention my friends lived in that house and they were lucky they didn’t perish with their parents and the rest of their family. There had been a family reunion when the fire happened. It was ruled an accident but I didn’t know what to think. They had to move away to their brother’s place in Brooklyn. He had work and couldn’t make it to the reunion.
“Nah Rob’s right. I should’ve punched him and not let the asshole teacher drag me away,” I could smell the alcohol from Cory’s breath as it floated along with the slight breeze, he must have been drunk.
“Exactly see. I know what I’m sayin’,” Rob threw the bottle against a tree and it smashed on impact causing tiny shards of glass to crash to the ground.
“Come on guys this is stupid. Let’s just go,” Trevor tried to talk some sense into them. He seemed to be the only sober one.
“No we’re just having fun there is nothing wrong in that!” Cory refused and that’s when I realised I was going to have to clear them out myself.
“This is private property,” I walked out from behind a tree and they all looked shocked to see me.
“I didn’t see no sign,” Rob stepped forward and grabbed at his crotch like the rappers did in their music videos. I didn’t understand why, it just looked stupid to me. Why did they grab at their crotches anyway?
Why do you even care? Are you starting to like boys now? My inner wolf mocked me.
Shut up.
“Well there is,” I replied matter-of-factly.
“Listen up are you listening dawg?” Rob asked and I had to resist the urge to punch him in the face and it wasn’t because of his brown skin. I wasn’t racist, it was because of the way he was talking to me.
“Just stop talking and get off of my property,” I warned.
“Come on guys,” Trevor tried to push Rob away but Rob refused to move.
“My boy has a score to settle first,” He looked at Cory who was grinning like a drunken idiot, and I knew exactly what was going to happen.
“Leave now this is my final warning," I spoke calmly.
“Come on guys,” Trevor tried to herd them away and failed again.
“You should listen to your friend,” I suggested.
“Oh please you’re a scrawny ass bitch!” Rob laughed and Cory joined in while Trevor stared at me cautiously.
“Yeah an ugly scrawny ass bitch,” Cory laughed and high-fived Rob.
“Okay fine you want to do this than let’s do this because I’m not sorry Kristin picked me.”
“Shut up,” Cory slurred as he stepped towards me. His hands formed into fists as his upper lip was quivering in rage.
“You know your acting pathetic right? Why don’t you challenge me when you’re sober and you actually stand a chance?” I asked although he didn’t stand a chance either way, sober or drunk it didn’t matter.
“I think you should take his advice,” Trevor urged Cory.
“No let’s do this right here and right now. I thought Rick the dick might have been competition but never you not in a million years,” Cory spat and took another step toward me.
“Come on man show him what happens when you mess with Cory,” Rob encouraged him and again I had to resist the urge to knock him out.
“Just shut up,” Trevor ordered Rob who ignored him.
“You got this man,” Rob opened his stupid annoying mouth again.
Cory ran the few steps that separated us and swung his fists at me. Of course I was able to dodge them without even trying. His reflexes were slow from the alcohol consumption and I couldn’t help but roll my eyes and yawn although it just seemed to piss Cory off even more.
“Do not take that shit man!” Rob yelled.
Cory tried to punch me in the gut but I dodged his attack again. I was getting very bored of their crap.
“Are you even trying?” I asked and noticed Rob coming at me. He tried to hit me in the face and I pushed him away causing him to stumble and fall on his ass.
Cory aimed for my face for the third time and I knew what I had to do to end the stupid fight. I caught Cory’s fist and punched him in the face, just hard enough to leave a bruise. As much as he had pissed me off I did want to leave him with a broken nose. I felt sorry for him. Kristin had picked me and rejected him but the next time I wasn’t going to be so nice.
Cory yelped and fell on his backside, “You need to leave. I’m not going to ask again,” I watched as Trevor helped Cory and Rob to their feet.
Cory’s nose was bleeding and Rob looked like he was about to pass out; probably from the binge drinking.
Well that sucked I was hoping for a good fight. My inner wolf was very disappointed.
“Finally we agree on something,” I muttered quietly to my wolf before I started to clean up the broken glass and cherry bombs.

THANKS for reading! Did you enjoy it?
VOTE…. COMMENTFANADD TO LIBRARY... XOX