Derek: Haunted

“Please don’t kill me.” Kristin begged in between sobs. It was dark and the moon was shining through the trees although it hadn’t helped Kristin find a way to escape the maze. We were in the middle of the woods and I had her stuck up against a tree. All I could hear was her racing heart and I could smell her salty tears as they streamed down her face.
I moved closer and snarled and Kristin screamed in response.
“Stop it!” She cried before trying to climb the tree which was when I lunged and bit down on her ankle. My teeth pierced through her skin and I could taste her blood which fuelled my desire.
“No,” Kristin screamed in pain as I pulled her to the ground, and dragged her a few feet ignoring her pleas as she kicked and screamed in terror.

I awoke and shot up from bed. Ignoring Kristin wasn’t working. It had been four days but it felt like twenty. I thought keeping my distance would stop the nightmares but it seemed to make them worse. Courtney’s warning and my nightmares were both haunting me. Every time I closed my eyes I heard the snap of Kristin’s neck and it sent chills all over my body.
I looked at the alarm clock that sat on my bed side table, 5.30am flashed back at me and I decided fresh air was what I needed to clear my head.
The fresh morning dew seemed to help comfort my tormented thoughts as I ran through the dark woods and within minutes I had caught Kristin’s fresh scent as if wafted towards me along with the slight breeze. The scent alone was enough to break my will. I had managed to keep my distance for four days but in that moment I knew I couldn’t last any longer.
It wasn’t enough to see her in class or in the hallways. I even missed that small smile and slight nod that acknowledged my existence. Instead I was getting the cold shoulder and it was driving me insane.
I can control myself I know I can. I just need practice and to get used to being with her. I decided silently as my legs started to run towards her.
Kristin was running along the dirt path and it took me less than a minute to catch up with her but she didn’t even acknowledge me not even for a second. It didn’t surprise me since it had been like that at school, but I had to do something to fix it.
“You can ignore me all you like but I’m not going anywhere,” I spoke loud enough so she could hear me over her music. I knew part of her wanted to see me. Why else would she be running this early in the morning right near my house? There were other places to run.
Silence was the answer I got in return.
“Come on Kristin I know you can hear me,” I matched her pace although she continued to pretend I didn’t exist.
“I’ll follow you home if I have to,” I threatened.
Kristin huffed in annoyance and took out one of her ear phones.
“What do you want?” She continued to run and looked straight ahead refusing to give me any eye contract.
“I just want to talk to you.”
“Why now? You haven’t even tried for the past four days,” She hissed and started to run faster. Honestly I didn’t know what to say to her after what I did. I didn’t know how to make it better and she hadn’t said a word to me either.
Why was I getting all the blame?
“I thought you might need some space besides I thought you were meant to stay away from me. How are you meant to keep dating that guy if you’re grounded?” I made sure to hide my jealousy.
Kristin stopped abruptly and I followed her lead half expecting her to punch me in the face.
“You really don’t care do you?” Her hands clenched into fists as her nostril flared.
“Are you talking about you and Ryan being together?” I asked and deliberately got his name wrong.
“You know his name is Cory and no I was talking about me and Santa Claus,” She snickered and crossed her arms over her perfect plump chest.
“That’s just creepy,” I tried to play cute although she just glared at me in response.
“What happened that night and why did you tell me to go on a date with Cory?” She demanded answers although I couldn’t tell her the truth and I couldn’t lie to her either. Kristin deserved better than that.
Because he could never hurt you the way I could. I thought to myself but kept it silent.
“I don’t know. I’m just not sure I’m good for you,” I didn’t lie.
“Don’t I get a say?”
“How did your date go?” I changed the subject hoping to hear terrible news. I wanted to hear her say it was the worst date she had ever had.
“Good it went great actually.”
Each word stung. Kristin was turning me into a walking cliché and part of me hated it while the other part of me loved it.
“Good for you,” I tried to hide my resentment although I wasn’t sure how successful I was. The rage must have been showing on my face even the thought of them together made me want to attack something.
“You can keep pretending but I know the truth.”
“What truth is that?”
“You’re really going to make me say it?”
“I guess so,” I shrugged and Kristin practically lunged at me.
Before I could even register what had happened her lips were on mine and I started to lose control instantly. Her cold hands reached under my shirt and even though they felt like ice I didn’t flinch or move them away. Instead I wrapped my arms around her. I didn’t want it to end. I needed more.
“I knew I was right,” she pulled her lips from mine a handful of seconds later but I didn’t release her from my grip. I wasn’t ready to let go and Kristin didn’t seem to want to let go either.
“So you were testing me?” I asked as her fingers traced circles on my skin under my shirt.
“Why won’t you just admit it and tell me what is going on?”
“Why does it matter? Aren’t you meant to be dating Cory? I don’t think he is gonna like you kissing other guys,” I kept my arms wrapped around her even though I knew I should have let go and taken a step back.
“I only went on that date because you told me too, but you know what? I’m glad you did,” Her hands fell by her side and I let go knowing she was pissed at me again. I should’ve just continued to keep my distance.
“We had fun and he kissed me goodnight AND I liked it.”
I felt a sharp pain surge through my body and I wanted to punch Cory and knock him out cold. I was feeling pure hatred toward him and jealousy. The thought of him kissing Kristin had my upper lip trembling in rage.
“What do you want from me?” I asked as my hands clenched into fists. I wanted to rip Cory to shreds but I knew I didn’t have the right to. Kristin wasn’t my girlfriend and it was me who told her to go on the stupid date.
“For you to stop being a douche bag. I know you like me yet you told me to go on a date with Cory. What game are you playing?”
“I’m not playing any game. I just think you’re better off with Cory,” I hated to say it and it was literally making me feel ill but it was the truth.
“I don’t believe you and I don’t believe that you even believe what you’re saying. Stop pretending that you don’t care!”
“Why would I lie?” I asked. Of course I cared about Kristin dating Cory but she was better off without me.
“Maybe because you’re a guy afraid of your feelings,” Kristin was smirking and I was sure it was because of how corny she just sounded.
“Oh please you need to get over yourself,” I scoffed and realised I was doing the opposite of what I had planned. I wasn’t meant to be pushing Kristin away. I was meant to be mending the relationship and pulling her in closer. How else was I going to learn to control myself around her?
What the hell is my problem? I thought to myself.
“Fine then, keep being a loner and have fun making out with trees because my lips are never touching yours again,” Kristin nudged past me and started to sprint down the track.
We need to go punch his face in. My inner wolf was itching for a fight although it wouldn’t have helped the situation in fact it would've made it worse.
That won’t help. I snapped.
Pansy. My inner wolf teased.
Shut up!
“You’re such a drama queen!” I ignored him and yelled after her and she flipped me the bird. I was glad I didn’t understand women. I didn’t want to know what went on in their messed up heads. It was probably the stuff of bone chilling nightmares that haunted you for years on end.
I kicked at the ground pretending it was Cory’s stupid smug face. How was I meant to face him at school knowing he had kissed Kristin? I had a few hours to release my anger before I had to be in class and I decided to head into the woods and shift.
The run around would help relieve the anger and I could scratch the hell out of some trees and pretend they were Cory.
Well it’s decided then. My inner wolf agreed and I rushed off into the trees making sure there were no other humans around. The last thing I needed was to accidentally maul someone to death.

THANKS for reading! Did you enjoy it?
VOTECOMMENT... FANADD TO LIBRARY... XOX