Derek: Winter formal

“You ready?” Kristin asked me. We were sitting in my car in the school car park. It was the Winter Formal and everyone was over dressed and some were even tipsy as they headed into the gym.
I was meant to tell Kristin the horrendous crime Nora had committed but I couldn’t. I had tried all day and failed. I couldn’t ruin the night for Kristin. Nora had another day before I told Kristin the truth.
“Sure,” I nodded and tried to hide how nervous I was feeling but I had never been to a school function before. I didn’t see the point or have a reason to go until now. Not even Tina could drag me to a dance.
“It’s going to be fun and you look great. I love your tux,” Kristin smiled and grabbed my hand. I had decided on a black tux with a white shirt and green tie and even thought it clashed a little with Kristin’s dress she didn’t seem to care at all. Her dress was strapless and had a plunging neckline which was covered in blue and pink sequins while the waist had a thick pink ribbon tied around it. From the waist down there were two layers, the bottom was a cheetah pattern which consisted of pinks and purples while the top layer was made of some transparent pink material. It definitely reflected Kristin’s almost wild personality.
“Well I love your dress,” I smiled. Kristin looked fantastic, amazing and beautiful. I could barely look away from her and it got me thinking. I still couldn’t believe that I was at the Winter Formal with her let alone dating her. 
It still sounded weird.
“Come on let’s do this. I want to show you off,” Kristin kissed me quickly before she pulled away and got out of the car.
It’s just a dance. It’s just dancing . . . You can do this. I coached myself as I took a deep breath and got out of the car.
The entrance was decorated with blue and white balloons but it looked more like advertising for a birthday party than a formal.
The inside looked a lot better than the outside. There were very wide blue and white streamers that bunched together in the middle of the roof and fanned out to the corners of the room, as well as a bunch of white and blue balloons which hung from the middle of the ceiling. The middle of the gym was left for dancing while tables surrounded the dance floor and there were snowflakes plastered all over the walls.

“Well I could see,
You home with me,
But you were with another man, yea!
I know we,
Ain't got much to say,
Before I let you get away, yea!
I said, are you gonna be my girl?”

The band was singing are you gonna be my girl by Jet and everyone was staring at us in shock as we entered the gym, even some of the teachers seemed surprised by our presence.
“They sure are subtle,” Kristin snickered.
“Yeah real subtle,” I replied. Thankfully they got bored of staring after a few minutes well apart from Cory who looked like he wanted to rip my head off although I just smiled, and wrapped my arm around Kristin’s waist before she started to steer us towards an empty table.
“Okay so maybe I lied when I said it wouldn’t be lame but we can always skip out early,” Kristin suggested as we took a seat at the table and ignored the other students as they continued to steal glances from time to time.
“Why can’t we skip out now?” I was already over it although the tux part wasn’t that bad, it was actually pretty comfortable.
“Because we still have to slow dance and I have to lean my head on your shoulder, and then you’re meant to kiss me,” Kristin smirked.
“You watch too many chick flicks,” I teased.
“I know which means you have to be my Freddie Prinze Junior, think you can handle such a near impossible task?”
“I love a good challenge although I can do better than him.”
“Really? Well prove it,” Kristin stood to her feet and extended her hand as the slow music started.

“And I'd give up forever to touch you,
'Cause I know that you feel me somehow,
You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be,
And I don't want to go home right now.

I stood to my feet as the band started to sing Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls. I knew the song because it was my parent’s favourite song of all time and was played constantly at my house.
“Okay be prepared to be swept off your feet,” I smirked as I took Kristin’s hand and we walked to the dance floor.
I ignored the questioning looks as I pulled Kristin towards me. They didn’t matter, all that did was Kristin, and I wanted her to have the best night ever.
Kristin’s hands wrapped around me as my arms wrapped around her. Her intoxicating scent almost made me forget that we were surrounded by people. It felt like we were the only two people in the gym as she leaned her head on my shoulder. I could feel the warmness of her breath on my neck as her face inched closer to my chin.
The last time we kissed in public was in front of more than half the school, and Cory and I came close to getting in a fight because of it. He had just lost Kristin to me although I didn’t feel guilty back then and I still didn’t now. I was happy with Kristin. I couldn't worry about Cory’s feelings although Kristin was still worried about hurting Cory which is why I was surprised as her lips continued to move closer to mine.
I guessed she was as lost in the moment as I was, and she had forgotten all about Cory and the thought brought a smile to my lips as Kristin’s face hovered just inches from mine.
“You’re actually a pretty good dancer you know.”
“Beginners luck,” I replied. Her lips continued to move closer to mine. My grip around Kristin tightened, and she pushed her body up against mine. Even the music was starting to fade away into the far distance.
“You need to give yourself more credit,” Kristin spoke before our heads tilted and our lips came together. It wasn’t like our usual kiss which went from 0-100 in seconds. This one was slow and deep. Even our tongues were moving as if they were stuck in slow motion along with the our lips.
In fact everything seemed to be moving in slow motion: the music and the people dancing around us, the whole room was moving slower. I knew there would've been people talking about how we needed to get a room and how gross it was that Kristin was kissing me but I didn’t care.
I couldn’t even hear them. All I could hear was the fading music which added to the experience as well as our heart beats. I was pretty sure I just kicked Freddie Prinze Juniors ass. I was even surprised that Kristin somehow managed to keep her hands wrapped around my body and not under my t-shirt.
It wasn’t until I heard clapping that I realised the song was over and I started to return to reality.
“It’s like they have forgotten they are in a room full of people,” Hayden said.
“I know it’s like totally gross,” another one spoke.
“Maybe we should tell them there’s a motel a few blocks away.”
“No! Ewww like we need them adding to the Beacon Hills gene pool,” Hayden laughed.
I couldn’t help but roll my eyes at their stupid conversation and I was glad Kristin wasn’t able to hear them. The last thing I needed was Hayden ruining Kristin’s night.
Kristin still hadn’t noticed that the band had finished performing Iris, and she still didn’t notice when the band started to play I believe in a thing called love by the Darkness. I wasn’t a fan of the song.
“So how am I doing?” I pulled away from the kiss and Kristin looked around at all the bodies as they danced to the up beat song.
“Not bad, you’re getting there,” Kristin smirked.
“Well isn’t this romantic,” I heard and saw Tina as she approached with Tane and I wondered what they were doing at the dance.
“What are you guys doing here?”
“We got bored waiting for you and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about,” Tina was staring at Kristin and I knew she wasn’t talking about the dance.
“Tane?” Kristin asked surprised although I was ever more surprised. I didn’t know that they knew each other.
“So you’re the Kristin?” Tane looked at me with guilty eyes and that’s when it clicked. He had talked about a cute girl he met at the Pizza Place I should have known it was Kristin.
“And you’re friends with Derek?” Kristin was looking at me instead of Tane.
“Yeah he is. I was going to introduce you to them on Friday night when we go camping.”
“Oh right well it’s nice to meet you guys,” Kristin’s hand wrapped around mine as she looked at Tina and forced a smile, although I knew she was wondering who Tina was to me.
“Is that Tane? Remember when you had a crush on him?” I heard one of Hayden’s friends talking.
“Shut up!” Hayden hissed and I knew Tane had heard because of the huge grin that had surfaced on his face.
“Likewise I’m Tina by the way.”
“Well it’s nice to meet you. Are you two related or together?” Kristin asked and I had just remembered that I had forgotten to tell her that they were brother and sister.
“I’m older by a year,” Tane answered, “And I’m the better looking one clearly,” He teased.
“Dream on!” Tina scoffed, “Anyway since I’m here do you think I could steal a dance with your boyfriend?” Tina smirked and I wanted Kristin to say no and she would have if she had known how Tina felt, but I kind of didn’t tell her that either. The last thing I wanted was for Kristin and Tina to get into a fight. Tina had very sharp claws and she wasn’t afraid to use them.
“Sure,” Kristin replied and Tina grabbed my arm and yanked me halfway across the room.
“What are you doing here?” I questioned as she swayed her body to the music inching closer with each step.
“Just having some fun, relax,” Tina twirled around in a circle and pretended to trip before she fell on me. I knew what she was doing and if she kept it up, she was going to ruin the night and all my hard work.
“Tina stop,” I gently grabbed her shoulders and moved her away from me.
“Stop what?” She smirked and twirled some of her blonde hair around her index finger.
“You know what. I’m happy with Kristin don’t ruin the night please,” I tried asking politely and that’s when I felt fingers clasp around my hand.
“Hey,” Kristin spoke calmly before she slipped in between Tina and me and pressed her lips against mine. I knew she was basically claiming me as her territory but I didn’t care. I was hoping it would help Tina get the hint that I didn’t want her.
“Come on Tina I think it’s time we head home,” Tane practically ordered as I heard a very low snarl coming from Tina’s throat. What the hell was she playing at? Was she really going to attack Kristin in the middle of the gym, surely she couldn’t be that stupid as to think I was going to let her harm Kristin in any way.
Oh come on who doesn’t love a good old fashioned cat fight. My inner wolf laughed although I wasn’t finding the situation funny at all, it was far from a fair fight.

THANKS for reading! Did you enjoy it?
VOTECOMMENTFANADD TO LIBRARY... XOX