Chapter 62

I am soooooo sorry for the major delay in the update. I had school exams to study for that spaonned two weeks and I really needed to study. But now I'll be much faster to update because I've got more free time now. I'll try to update it faster. Thanks for being so loyal for so long! :D It means a lot. If anyone can make me that cover for Book 4, it was be much appreciated. :) Picture of Troy and Dahlia on the side. :)

Chapter 62

                Dahlia and Troy half-walked, half-ran across the lawn of the grounds in between the Elemental Academy and the forge. Neither of them spoke; they moved swiftly with a purpose. All around them, magicians ran back and forth, moving into squads to protect different locations, collecting weapons and evacuating the youngest children to a secure location on the island.

                They had nearly reached Arulan’s makeshift command centre when Troy stopped and grabbed Dahlia’s hand to make her halt. She glanced down at their joined hands; he had barely touched her since she had broken up with him.

                “What was Tristan talking to you about?” Troy asked evenly, calmly.

                Dahlia stared at him, incredulous. “With all that’s going on, are you seriously telling me that you’re jealous?”

                “Isn’t it the best time to be jealous?” Troy said simply. “If today is the last day that we live, I want it to be with you. No more secrets and no more lies.”

                Dahlia looked down at her feet, struggling to hide the emotions on her face. It was called a poker face, something that Dahlia had never quite mastered. She could decipher emotions well and read them easily, but hiding them had never come to her easily.

                “That’s what he was telling me,” she muttered. “There are still secrets on this island that we don’t know about. Something to do with my mother and my namesake.”

                Troy stared at her. “And Tristan knows about it?”

                “He said that I remind him of his dead sister,” she said. “His sister who was my namesake. He’s like… a god-brother or something.”

                “God-brother?” Troy asked, half-laughing now.

                Dahlia rolled her blue eyes expressively. “Come on.”

                They entered the Elemental Academy and pushed open the doors to Arulan’s command centre. The magicians weren’t idiots; they had had a few contingency plans in case they ever were attacked. Converting the closest room to the main entrance into a command centre had been the first one of them.

                Arulan stood next to an older man who wore spectacles and was fiddling with some electronic device. It was the first piece of modern technology that Dahlia or Troy had seen on Avalon apart from the machines in the hospital wing. On his other side was an older woman around Kathryn’s age and, surprisingly, Raven.

                 They were briefing about six magicians, including Tamarak, Marina and one other whom both Dahlia and Troy recognized. He was Donovan, one of the same batch of trainees as Tristan.

                “Troy, Dahlia, meet Elliot,” Arulan told them, nodding to the man next to him. “He’s a technopath and he’s been developing some technology to help modernize the Elemental Academy. He’s come up with some technology that works like telepaths; you will be able to communicate from all over the island.”