Chapter 35

I hope you like this chapter! :D Please vote and comment! :D I'm still dedicating the chapters to my loyal readers so please identify yourselves to me by voting and commenting. :) Picture of Dahlia and Tamarak on the side. ;)

Chapter 35

                Luna stuffed her last shirt into her backpack. Glancing up, she saw Dahlia enter the barrack, her face as hard as marble. But Luna saw the tightness around her jaw and her slightly red eyes and noted that Dahlia was only just managing to hold back tears.

                “You did the right thing, Dahlia,” Luna said softly.

                Dahlia didn’t seem surprised that Luna knew. She was getting very used to her diviner powers. She dropped down on her bunk, burying her face in her pillow.        

                “It being right doesn’t mean easy,” Dahlia replied; her voice muffled by the pillow.

                Luna smiled sympathetically at Dahlia before going across and patting her on the shoulder. Dahlia kept her face hidden in the pillow.

                “Just think about this,” Luna said soothingly. “Just because you broke off your relationship with him doesn’t mean that your feelings have changed. Troy knows that you did what you had to do for the good of everyone. When this war is over, I’m sure that you two will be together again.”

                Dahlia gave a choked sound that was half a hiccup and half a laugh. Luna stroked her hair, feeling rather like her older sister, much to Luna’s amusement.

                “And how will I know that he won’t have chosen another girl in the meantime?” Dahlia asked, rolling over to look at Luna.

                “Because I tell you that he won’t,” Luna said confidently. “Trust me, Dahlia. I am a diviner.”

                Dahlia sighed. “Oh, Luna, logic will win you your battles again and again,” she said, sporting a slight, if humourless smile.

                Luna returned the smile, pleased to see that Dahlia was laughing even if she was really feeling miserable. She offered her a warm, if slightly apologetic smile for she knew that what Dahlia had done hadn’t been easy to her or to Troy. Luna got off her bunk and returned to her bed to zip up her bag.

                “This is stupid, you know,” Dahlia said, pushing herself onto her elbow to look at Luna. “I’m getting romantic advice from a seven-year-old!”

                Luna rolled her eyes. “You know, Troy told me the exact same thing six months ago.”

                Dahlia sighed, flopping back down on her bed while Luna winced; she hadn’t intended to bring Troy’s name into the conversation.

                “Sorry,” Luna said quickly.

                “That’s okay,” Dahlia said, waving her hand to ward off Luna’s apologies.

                “You might want to pack,” Luna said, climbing into her bed and beginning to change into her night clothes under the blanket.

                “I know,” Dahlia groaned, pulling herself back off the bed. “Was it seriously only this morning that I was taking school exams that I took two years ago?”

                “Yesterday morning,” Luna corrected, her voice muffled from the blanket. “It’s past midnight.”

                Dahlia groaned again in exasperation before standing up and scrambling under her bed for her backpack. She found the dusty bag and blew the dust off as best she could.