Chapter 10

Here is the next chapter! :) Please check it out and vote and comment and stuff so I can dedicate the chapters to my loyal readers. :) Picture of Hunter on the side. :) Hey, thanks to all you loyal readers, I got a prize for getting into the second round of the watty awards with the first book in the series, The Nation Charmer! :) Thank you all so much! :)

Chapter 10

                Tamarak drove haphazardly towards the town. He was not exactly scared, but not exactly comfortable either. Theoretically, he knew how to drive. But knowing the theory and actually driving were two very different things. It took all of his concentration to just keep the truck on the road.

                A trickle of sweat ran down his cheek. Clutching the steering wheel with both hands, he considered between the dangers of taking his eyes off the road and checking on Yasmine’s condition. Finally, reluctantly, he glanced at her.

                She was binding her wounds as best she could with cloths. Despite her chocolate-brown skin, she looked pale, like she was losing too much blood.

                “Do you know where Troy, Dahlia and Hunter might be?” he asked finally, switching back to look at the road.

                In his haste to get away from the monster and the school, he had forgotten that he still didn’t know where the other magicians were. He cursed under his breath.

                Yasmine shook her head desperately; she had also forgotten.

                Tamarak glanced back at the road and swore again. A dog had darted out in front of the truck. With a loud squeal of friction, Tamarak slammed the brakes as hard as he could. The truck swerved on the ice that lined the road and kept going as the engine stalled.

                “STOP THE TRUCK!” screamed Yasmine; her voice a tone higher than usual.

                “I’m trying!”

                Tamarak tried applying the brakes again but the truck was heading for the woods in the side of the road. In desperation, he glanced around for the emergency brake.

                “Do something!” Yasmine shrieked and then gasped as she banged her head on the glass window.

                “Yasmine!” he shouted.

                She slumped unconscious in her seat, blood tricking from the cut on her forehead as well. Tamarak gasped as the glass on his side shattered and landed all over his arms, cutting his skin.

                The engine had stalled and Tamarak had no way to stop it. The truck smashed into a tree and Tamarak grabbed the steering wheel to avoid being thrown out through the windshield. Unfortunately, Yasmine was still unconscious and he had no way of saving her.

                The glass in the windshield shattered as Yasmine flew out limply. Tamarak snatched out desperately, but she shot through the glass.

                A tall, lean figure leapt out of the trees and snatched Yasmine before she could hit the icy ground. Tamarak gasped in alarm.

                “Hunter?” he asked.

                Hunter looked up after gently setting Yasmine on the cold ground. His black hair had grown out to his shoulders and his brown eyes had a wild look in them. His body was still lean and extremely muscular even more than it had been when he had been a nomad.