Chapter 52

Here's the next chapter! :D I really hope you guys like this chapter. :) Please vote and comment! The dedication thing works again. :) So I'll be dedicating the chapters to you guys. Please identify yourselves to me by voting and commenting. Please! :D I know that this book is getting really long, but I don't know if you guys will be happy or not that the book will be finished soon, I think. It'll be about 15 more chapters or more, I think. Picture of Dahlia and Tamarak on the side. :) 

Chapter 52

                Dahlia slumped against the side of the car. She was thoroughly exhausted after everything that they had gone through. It wasn’t just going through so much trouble to heal Tamarak’s wounds. It had been Cedric’s kiss.

                After Cedric had kissed her, Dahlia had been unable to slap him. She was afraid that her action might put their lives in danger; she didn’t want them to fight and not be able to trust one another in a battle that might commence. On the other hand, however, she didn’t want to lead him on. She knew that he liked her, a lot, but she couldn’t bring herself to reject his advances yet again. She wished desperately that their old friendship would return, but she knew that it was impossible.

                Fortunately for her, Tamarak had entered the room saved her from having to do something really drastic. But deep down, she knew that she was only delaying the inevitable. It would hurt him a lot less if she just told him right there that she didn’t like him at all and that he should just give up before he got hurt. But she also knew, thanks to what Tamarak had told her on the plane, that they would have to trust one another to have their backs at least until their quest was over; she couldn’t tell him that she wasn’t interested without ruining the chances of their quest succeeding.

                All the same, Dahlia felt horrible as she sat in the front seat of the car next to Tamarak. Technically, she wasn’t cheating with Troy because she had broken up with him, but she felt very bad that she was literally leading Cedric up the garden path. She was leaving him with a hope that they might possibly be a future item. Of course, her mental debate was not helping her at all; it was just giving her a very bad headache.

                Another thing that worried her was that they had stolen one of her father’s cars. Technically it wasn’t stealing because it sort of belonged to her. But still, he might have rigged it with an explosive or put some sort of tracking device on the car. Whether magical or human, it didn’t matter. Either way, they might be tracked. She had found the spare car keys right where she and her father had always hid them. It bothered her that he might actually have trusted her to leave the keys where he always had.

                And now they were on the road, driving towards the immortals’ palace. It was still raining hard, though, making it difficult to see the road in front of them. The only thing that she was currently feeling grateful about was that she wasn’t driving.

                Tamarak was driving. He definitely looked of age to drive, but he had only learned how to drive a few days previously when they had been in San Francisco. It was better than Cedric though; although he had lived in the human world before, it had seven years ago and he hadn’t known how to drive. It was definitely better than Dahlia, who wasn’t even of age to drive and definitely did not look it.

                The night sky was dark and the windshield wipers worked desperately, trying to make the road in front of them visible. The car swerved, making Dahlia squeal and grab at the dashboard in front of her. Cedric grunted, grasping at his seatbelt in the backseat.

                “Sorry,” Tamarak muttered, shifting gears. “I haven’t quite gotten the hang of driving yet.”

                “You don’t say,” Cedric grumbled sarcastically. “Are you sure that you don’t want me to drive? I have better reflexes than you any day.”