Chapter 36

I hope you like this new chapter! :D I'm sorry that it's shorter than normal, but I hope you like it all the same. :) Please vote and comment for it! :D The next chapter will be longer, I promise. :) Picture of Luna Merlin on the side. :)

Chapter 36

                Luna jogged off, heading into the depths of the Windy City. She shivered slightly for it was cold and snowing hard. The icy wind blew straight through her silver parka which she wrapped as tightly as she could around herself. Luna pulled the hood of her parka up, trying to use it to conceal her face from the icy snow. The streets were almost empty of people; no one liked running around in the snow.

                In fact, despite the snow and the cold, Luna had a very good plan. She intended to use her Moon Child powers to control her own gravity while being covered up with her camouflage cloak so that she couldn’t be seen by anyone.

                That way, she would ‘fly’ to San Francisco.

                It wasn’t a perfect solution, but it was the best one that she had come up with so far. If she took a plane flight, she feared that the Moon Children would be able to tell that she had been using modern technology. She wasn’t sure how that would fair to her chances of being accepted by the Moon Children. In the end, she hadn’t bleached her hair, knowing that it would be better to be honest from the start, rather than gaining their trust and then losing it because of her lies.

                Luna ran as fast as she could without gaining attention from the few people on the streets. Of course, it wasn’t every day that they saw a seven-year-old girl with silver eyes, running down the street with no parental supervision. Not to mention that she was carrying a black backpack draped over her quiver of arrows. Her chances of blending in were practically zero.

                Luna was more than a little worried about Dahlia and Troy. She knew that Dahlia had made the right, if hard decision, but she was worried about how that would affect the prophecy in which she knew involved them. Neither Dahlia nor Troy knew its contents. If Troy had recalled the lines of the prophecy by now, he would probably have already mentioned it to her or to Dahlia.

                Luna knew a lot more about the prophecy thanks to the conversation that she and Arulan had shared the previous day, but there were many lines in it that she was still ignorant about. She was furious with herself for not having the power to know the actual outcome of the battle with Varmer.

                “It’s just a stupid prophecy,” Luna said aloud, earning herself a few strange looks from a few passersby that she passed. “It’ll come to pass when it does and nothing I do can change that.”

                But Luna could not help wondering whether she was wrong about that. The first line was so vague, even though she believed that it meant that all four types of magicians would unite and become loyal to one another; she knew, thanks to Arulan’s confirmation the previous day, that Troy was the Magician of Fire in the prophecy. She believed that Dahlia was the Magician of Water and that either she or Raven was the Magician of Air. Most likely, Kayla was the Magician of Earth although there was still a chance that Hunter or Cedric were the people mentioned.

                But she didn’t like the sound of the word ‘sacrifices’. It was so vague that it could refer to anything from Dahlia’s break-up with Troy, to Helen’s death in exchange for Dahlia’s life. In fact, she wasn’t even sure if that line in the prophecy had already passed.

                “Watch it!” shouted an older man as Luna practically collided with him; she had been too engrossed in her own thoughts about the prophecy.