Chapter 22

I am really sorry that I didn't update this earlier! I'm really sorry. But I hope that you like this chapter. :) I will really try to update it sooner. I'm so sorry for not updating it earlier. Please vote and comment! I am still dedicating the chapters to my loyal readers. :)

Chapter 22

                Benjamin flicked his fingers to allow them to move slightly. His concentration was wavering; his head was slightly bloody, but not enough to make him collapse.

                Dahlia froze, gritting her teeth as her leg burned with pain. She winced, clutching onto Hunter’s arm in order to turn around to face Benjamin. Tamarak slowly pivoted too, trying to conserve his energy. His magical fog was still sapping his strength, not to mention that he was carrying Raven.

                 A strangely soft look flickered in Benjamin’s eyes. He hesitated for half a second before he turned to look Tamarak in the eye.

                “Put the girl down,” he said quietly. “You’re already using enough energy to keep the fog up. Besides, you might want to dissipate it now.”

                “Since when do you care about how I am?” Tamarak demanded.

                Benjamin studied Tamarak darkly for a moment. Raking a hand gingerly through his dark hair, he sighed. Snapping his fingers, Tamarak felt his arms being forced open and Raven was lowered to the ground telekinetically.

                “You still love her, don’t you,” Dahlia said softly; her statement was not a question.

                “What?” spluttered Benjamin, gaping at Dahlia.

                Dahlia smiled angelically. Softly, she swept a strand of her blonde hair back off her forehead and gazed sweetly at Benjamin. Normally, no guy could resist when she did that. But Benjamin could. He just stared back at Dahlia without any sign of affection in his eyes.

                “Kayla,” Dahlia replied, watching him closely for any kind of reaction from him.

                Benjamin’s expression closed up immediately. His eyes became like stones that showed no chance of breaking.

                “She has nothing to do with me,” Benjamin said icily, looking everywhere but at Dahlia.

                “You guys were married,” Dahlia said softly. “And in those days, divorces were really rare, right? After she left, you never forgave yourself.”

                “It was not my fault that she left,” Benjamin retorted.

                “I’m not saying it was,” Dahlia said gently, letting a little charm slip into her voice. “But sometimes you do think that it is your fault, right? If she had told you, you could have helped her to see reason and persuaded her to stay.”

                She saw Benjamin swallowed hard and visibly look rather shaken. Smirking to herself, Dahlia saw that she had gotten into his head; she knew what he had been thinking.

                “Are you a telepath as well as being a charmer?” Benjamin asked, staring hard at her.

                Dahlia shook her head. “But you must know that it wasn’t your fault, Benjamin. If she had talked to you about it, you would have insisted that she would stay. And she knew that Varmer is evil. Deep down, I think you know that too.”