Chapter 34

Here's the next chapter! :D Please vote and comment! I understand that this chapter might be a little sad but I hope you like it all the same. :) I'm still dedicating the chapters to my loyal readers so please identify yourselves to me by voting and commenting. :) Picture of Troy and Dahlia on the side. :)

Chapter 34

                After promising to collect some defensive potions from Jared, Luna went to her barrack and began digging about for her gear. She hadn’t used her mortal gear in about six months. Her backpack was black and covered in a thin layer of dust. She had gotten it back in Paradise, Ohio. It had belonged to a bouncer at the pub whom Dahlia had charmed into giving them money and bags.

                Smiling to herself at the memory, Luna began to shove clothes into the bag; a spare pair of jeans and three shirts. She added undergarments and socks to the pile in her bag. Luna found her silver parka under the bunk bed. Apart from that, all her clothes had been made by Mitchell who had a gift to enchant fabric. He could mould it into whatever form he please. It would only work on cloth or thread, but magicians had learned not to annoy him the hard way.

                Luna was alone in the barrack although she shared it with some other girls: Dahlia, Sapphire, Yasmine and Marina. Kayla had used to share it with them, but she had recently gotten her own room. Sapphire often slept up in the hospital wing and Yasmine and Marina often had patrol duty which they had gone to now.

                Despite the absence of her friends, Luna enjoyed the peace and quiet, which was something that very rarely happened if she didn’t seek it out. It was pleasantly quiet, like it should be because it was nearly one o’clock in the morning.

                “Knock, knock,” a voice said, just when Luna knew it would speak.

                Luna glanced up, seeing exactly whom she had expected to see. Jared framed the doorway, fiddling with his ever-present pouch and holding something behind his back. It amused her to see him, a twenty-something-year-old man, intimidated by a seven-year-old girl.

                “Hi,” Luna said. “Come in.”

                Jared entered rather tentatively, almost as if he didn’t trust her invitation. He leaned awkwardly against a bed post; he didn’t dare to sit down.

                “I don’t bite,” Luna said, amused.

                Jared’s face reddened. His skin was normally very pale for he didn’t go outside a lot; he spent most of his time in his laboratory. His eyes were so dark a blue they were almost black and his hair was short and black.

                “Well, uh, here,” he said, pulling out a few dozen vials from his pouch and laying them down on the bed. “You should replenish your stock of potions. I suggest that you line them in your jacket or something. These potions are mostly defensive; you should have no problems with them.”

                Luna nodded, scooping up the vials and beginning to slide them into the lining of her silver parka at strategic places where she could easily access them and not crush them if she fell.

                “Thanks,” she said.

                “Because you learned how to differentiate my potions, I haven’t labelled them,” Jared continued. “It’s dangerous to put tabs on them or something.”

                “I know,” Luna agreed.

                “And... I have something else for you. It’s, ah, a birthday present,” Jared teased.