Chapter 47

Here is the next chapter! Sorry for the delay in the update. :( I'll try my hardest to update the chapters as fast as I possibly can. :) Thanks for being so patient and for staying with me! I'm still dedicating the chapters to my loyal readers so please still vote and comment! :D Thank you! :D Picture of Tamarak on the side. :) 

Chapter 47

                Luna stirred the next morning when she heard a soft rapping sound at the door. For a split second, she was confused as to where she was, but she soon realized that she was still in the home of the Moon Children. Raking her fingers through her blonde hair, she half-wished that her dreams did not come whilst she was asleep. They kept her in a restless sleep as she attempted to make sense of her premonitions.

                The knocking sounded again. Luna jumped, her fingers sliding automatically under her pillow as she reached for her bow. Her other hand moved instinctively towards her collection of potions and camouflage cloak.

                “Come in,” Luna called, keeping her hands tensed around her weapon.

                The door to her room opened slightly and Pearl poked her head through the door. She was dressed in the same outfit that she had worn the previous day; her white tunic, tights, boots and cloak were spotless. This time she had plaited the front of her white hair into little braids that framed her face. It made Luna feel very dirty and untidy.

                “Are you coming?” Pearl asked. “I thought that we’d bring you to the schoolroom. Meteorites learn separately from us, at least at first because they usually have catching up to do. How much have you learned about your magic?”

                Luna shrugged. “I’m not sure how much is a lot and how much is little. I’ve used some before, but I bet that there are much higher standards to live up to here, aren’t there?”

                Pearl nodded, before stepping fully into the room and tossing a matching outfit onto Luna’s bed. This one, however, looked more fancy than Pearl’s. Obviously the two school uniforms were not identical, for Luna’s sharp eyes immediately latched onto the fact that her uniform was entirely silver, whereas Pearl’s was white.

                “You might want to put that on,” Pearl said, smiling. “We all wear the same things to class; we don’t get to choose any outfits.”

                “They aren’t the same, Pearl,” Luna pointed out. “Mine’s silver and yours is white. Mine looks like it’s made of silk but yours looks like it’s made of cotton.”

                Pearl winced, looking trapped. Luna knew perfectly well that it was the ranking system that made Pearl look so embarrassed. Obviously, Luna herself had not had anything to do with the way that the Moon Children were judged, but it felt very awkward for her to be treated differently, especially considering how new she was and how much she stood out among the others.

                “Uh, I’ll just change,” Luna said quickly, saving Pearl from having to explain herself.

                Pearl was much shyer than Ray and Solar; it was harder for her to be more open about herself. Luna actually admired Pearl very much for being able to admit that Selene was her grandfather and how she was related to the king. It actually made Luna feel very guilty about her secret that she was keeping from them. She hadn’t expected to start liking the Moon Children so easily or to have genuine friendly feelings towards them.

                Quickly, Luna pulled on the outfit that Pearl had given her. She noted to herself, in surprise, that the clothes fit her perfectly. It was almost as if they had been tailored for her.