Chapter 16

Hey, sorry for the really long delay in me posting this new chapter. I was at camp. Anyway, I hope you like it and please vote and comment to identify yourselves to me. :) I am still dedicating the chapters to my loyal readers, so yeah! :) I really hope that you guys like this chapter and I apologize again for the delay. Picture of Ellie on the side. :)

Chapter 16

                Tamarak shifted uneasily before glancing at Dahlia. Of all people, he knew that she was the most suspicious person of all of them, but she was also the easiest person to gain someone’s trust. She was, after all, one of them who had lost and won the most.

                “Well?” she asked, cutting her teeth into her bottom lip.

                Tamarak frowned, trying to think of the best way to tell her what had happened without telling her all the details. Unfortunately, she was the best person to read between the lines so he had to sound completely nonchalant and relaxed about his story.

                Dahlia tensed as Tamarak continued to say nothing. Her hand instinctively moved towards her dagger as subtly as she could. Tamarak noticed her movement and he swiftly spoke to try and cover up the moment.

                “Okay, okay,” he said quickly. “So let’s go back to where I was before you interrupted me... where was I?”

                Dahlia frowned slightly. “We were talking about you coming and going with stuff for Sapphire and Kayla.”

                “Oh, yeah,” Tamarak agreed. “Right. So, anyway, we were attacked by a monster.”

                “The spider guy?” Dahlia asked. “The one that we met six months ago.”

                “Yeah,” Tamarak said, sighing. “He killed my father and stepmother. I can’t say that I was happy about their deaths, but it wasn’t fun. He ate my step-siblings. Then he chased Kayla, Sapphire and me away from Athens.”

                “I’m sorry,” Dahlia said.

                “We all lost things in our lives, Dahlia,” Tamarak said simply. “Your entire family was separated and on two different sides in this elemental war. Kayla’s life was a mess. It still is actually. What I’m just saying is... we can’t feel sorry for our entire lives. We’ll end up dead or in a living hell. We just need to put it aside and keep going.”

                There was a long pause after Tamarak’s speech and Dahlia couldn’t restrain a small laugh. Tamarak frowned at her for the briefest moment before starting to smile as well.

                “That didn’t sound like a speech that you would have made,” Dahlia said, smiling. “Actually it sounds like one that I would have made.”

                Tamarak rolled his eyes. “Yeah, fine, whatever, I guess it kind of sounded stupid. But it is true.”

                Dahlia nodded. “Then what happened?”             

                “Sapphire brought me to be claimed,” he said. “We went to the immortals’ palace. That’s where Sapphire and Kayla met Romulus again.”

                “But Romulus didn’t recognize you when we met him at the Elementary,” Dahlia protested.

                “Yeah,” Tamarak agreed. “That was because I didn’t see him before. I was being claimed and Kayla and Sapphire talked to him. Then he wiped their memories again so that they might not have any recollections about when they met the first time.”