Chapter 15

Here is the next chapter! :) I'm updating it a little early because I have camp over the weekend, so please feel happy that I just updated it! :P Anyway, please vote and comment to identify yourselves to me because I am still dedicating the chapters to my loyal readers. Picture of Sapphire, Tamarak and Troy on the side. :)

Chapter 15

                The wind whipped through the shattered windows of the Corolla. Shivering, Dahlia wrapped her arms around herself. She had lost her bag during the explosion. She was extremely lucky that she had had her staff inside her coat and her dagger hidden under her sweater, strapped to her back.

                “Are you cold?” Tamarak asked, rubbing his hands together to warm them.

                “Yeah,” Dahlia said grimly. “I lost my bag in the explosion. Did you and Yasmine come totally unprepared?”

                Tamarak shrugged. “Kind of,” he agreed. “I didn’t expect it to snow so badly. I’ve never lived in San Francisco before.”

                Dahlia smiled slightly before shivering violently as a gust of icy cold wind blew snow into the car. The heater was useless as all the windows, the windscreen and the rear-view glass had shattered. Hunching up helplessly, she curled into a tiny ball.

                “Take some coats from my bag,” Hunter instructed, tossing his backpack over the seat. “There are some spare clothes, food and drinks in it. Eat something to settle your nerves. Chocolate is especially good for that. Give Raven some, Dahlia.”

                Dahlia rummaged around in the bag. Hunter had been well prepared; there were several water-proof sweaters, a flask of hot chocolate and a small packet of biscuits. At the very bottom of the bag was a bar of large chocolate.

                “Here,” Dahlia said, handing out the sweaters.

                With a swift yank, she pulled off her coat. The brief exposure to the icy wind sent her teeth chattering again, but it faded slightly as she donned her new sweater and her coat again. Quickly, she broke the chocolate bar into four large pieces and started passing them around.

                “Eat up,” she told Raven as she handed the girl a particularly large piece. “It’ll make you feel normal again and it tastes good.”

                Raven obeyed without asking any questions. Dahlia knew how much it was probably costing for her to keep her silence; when she had first found out about magicians, she had been demanding answers nonstop.

                She wolfed down her piece of chocolate before zipping up Hunter’s bag again. She knew without doubt that the biscuits and the hot chocolate might have to last a long time before they got supplies again. Therefore, they couldn’t eat all of it, although she had a pretty good feeling that once they got really hungry, there wouldn’t be sufficient food for even one person.

                “Oh, Dahlia, happy birthday,” Tamarak said as he wrapped his sweater around his hands to try and warm them up.

                “Not much of a birthday,” Dahlia said wryly although she felt happy that it wasn’t just Troy, Hunter and Raven who had remembered her birthday.

                After all, after she had been in so many life and death situations with them, they all shared a special bond that was stronger than friendship. Not marriage, of course, but it was a strong relationship.