Chapter 44

Here is the next chapter! I hope you guys like it! Sorry for the delay in the update, but I hope you guys like it. ;) Please vote and comment! I'm still dedicating the chapters to my loyal readers so please identify yourselves to me by voting and commenting. :) Picture of Dahlia on the side. ;) 

Chapter 44

                Luna shook her head in exasperation. She ran her fingers through her blonde hair. All their current problems seemed to be coming from her family.

                “Doesn’t that mean that you have some personal leverage over him?” she asked. “Surely you can convince him that if the Moon Children help the rebel magicians, it’s for everyone’s benefit. Can’t you do that?”

                King Ganymede shook his head. “No, Luna. Selene cannot be easily manipulated by anyone. His father, my son, has passed away and all he lives for is power. His own time is drawing near but while I am still alive, he cannot rise any higher in his own rank with the Moon Children.”

                “So as the king, you are still more powerful than the Council,” Luna objected.

                “Regardless, you know that I cannot do anything to stop Selene,” King Ganymede said. “Besides, I fear that Varmer has promised to restore Selene’s youth if the Moon Children help the Fire Immortal. Selene is ruthless. There is nothing that I can do.”

                “Won’t the rest of the Council help you?” Luna asked.

                “No, for they trust Selene’s judgement,” the king replied. “Many of the Moon Children think that I am old and senile. When one member of the Council dies, another one rises to take their place. Selene is currently the highest member.”

                “But you are higher than he is,” Luna insisted.

                “Yes,” the king confirmed. “But like I said, most of the Moon Children expect me to die soon. They won’t listen to me about anything.”

                “Can’t you elect another one to become King or Queen?” Luna asked.

                “I could, but none of the Moon Children are currently suited for the role,” King Ganymede confided. “Each and every single of them either still holds a grudge against the humans and the magicians and have no desire to help them whatsoever or they believe that Selene is right and that I am an idiot. There is nothing else for it.”

                “Surely some people believe you?” Luna asked. “What have you been doing as king if not helping and guiding the Moon Children?”

                Luna was too angry and frustrated to hold her tongue in check. The second the words came out, she bit her lip, knowing that if she angered the king, it would not end well for her. She might turn the one person who trusted her and knew her secret against her.

                Luckily for Luna, the king merely smiled warily and shook his head at her cheek. Fortunately, he did not seem very angry at her for her rudeness, even though it was very doubtful than any other Moon Child would have had the nerve to cheek him the way that she had.

                “I’m sorry, King Ganymede,” Luna said immediately, knowing that it was best to apologize even though he was not very angry with her. “That was very rude of me; I didn’t mean to insult you like that.”

                “Don’t worry, Luna,” the king reassured her. “I, for one, know that you didn’t mean to be that rude. But you must guard your tongue amongst the other Moon Children for they aren’t nearly as forgiving or as accepting of insubordination as I am even if it is the truth. I know that you know that you are a smart Moon Child and especially with your diviner powers, you will know that there are times to be polite and when to be rude.”