11/05/17

11/05/17

It was dark when the bus got back to the school and we unloaded our stuff. The group quietly split into blocks and pairs and headed off mostly in the same direction. I stepped onto the sidewalk and prepared to call a taxi. I expected Alex to try to intervene, but I didn't want to suddenly be dependent on him for everything.

But he was there before I could even it "send."

"I will escort you home."

"I'll be fine. Everyone else is going home on their own."

"Everyone else has roommates, and no one else lives near you."

"Why do you remember things like that?"

"You know why."

His taxi arrived - he must have arranged it while we were pulling up - and he put our luggage in the trunk. He gave the driver my intersection without even looking at me to verify that he'd gotten it right.

I got out and he got out too, telling the driver to wait. He grabbed my bag and walked to the gate. He set my bag on the ground. He lingered a moment, apparently trying to think of something to say but not coming up with anything. I couldn't either. I was about to say "Good night" and then he stepped in close, put his arms around my waist, pulled me in to him and kissed me. I didn't resist. I didn't even stiffen. I just let him."

He pulled away after a moment and looked into my eyes. I half expected him to apologize or give me some caveat, but he didn't. He just said, "Good night, Novela," and got back into the taxi. I fumbled for the door. I couldn't see him inside the taxi, but it didn't pull away until I had gotten in the house and closed the door.

What am I doing?