Re: Turn of Events

From: novela-harmon@bethel.edu>
Date: Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 8:02 PM
Subject: Turn of Events
To: grace-k-nelson@bethel.edu

Hi Grace,

I am in New Orleans. With Alejandro. He had to come for a meeting with his thesis director. He wanted me to come with him. I told him no, because I couldn't afford it, so he bought a nonrefundable ticket in my name. He also booked a hotel in the French Quarter, which is apparently the place to stay in New Orleans. I couldn't tell him no at that point. Because I wanted to come so badly.

I didn't tell you in advance because I figured you'd try to stop me. I'm sure that's what I would do if I were you. But I'm seeing things so much differently now. I wish I could explain it to you. (I wish I could explain it to myself.) I am sorry for keeping things from you and, ultimately, disappointing you.

But I'm not sorry I'm here. I have something with Alejandro that I could never find with anyone else. I've known that for a while now, and thought I could just shoulder being alone the rest of my life. But Alejandro has convinced me that you don't get many chances like this. All that sounds cheesy and naive now that I've written it, but I don't know how else to explain it.

Alejandro is also here to initiate divorce proceedings, since his wife lives here. We plan to get married at some point, although of course that depends on how the divorce proceeds.

Some day I hope you'll be able to understand. For now, feel free to judge me and chastise me as much as you like, but just please don't tell anyone. I will tell my family, eventually, but need to get this figured out first. And then find the best way to bring them up to speed.

I didn't want to tell you, because I didn't want to cause you pain by having to carry this information. But I figured that since I'm crossing international borders, I should tell at least one other person where I am, in case anything were to happen to Alejandro or me.

This will be right, eventually. For right now, thank you for your silence.

I'd welcome a reply, even a negative one, but if you don't feel like it, I totally understand.

I love you.

Novela