Re: A Strange Occurrence

From: novela-harmon@bethel.edu
Date: Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 5:17 PM
Subject: A Strange Occurrence
To: grace-k-nelson@bethel.edu

A weird thing happened today. You know Alex, the cool professor with the fun class, who is also the salsa dance teacher? Well, usually he's confident and calm but today he came into Composition class all shaken up. We all thought he was playing around at first. He said (in Spanish) "I just saw the CEPE ghost." We didn't believe him but he just stood there for a minute, after we'd laughed, and his face was paler than normal.

Alex said there is supposedly a ghost that faculty claim to have seen in the professors' lounge. He entered the room and saw someone in white on the other end, and then it was gone. There is no way out on that end of the room.  He said, "I didn't believe it until today." Then, "I don't believe it." He was calmer by this point.

Of course everyone was really curious and not remotely interested in what we were supposed to be talking about, so they kept just raising their hands to ask more questions about the ghost. "What did it look like? How many other people has seen it? Are you saying you imagined it?" For a few minutes Alex indulged them (OK, us; I wasn't raising my hand but I did want to know). He tried to steer us back to the topic, but no one was having it. Finally he gave up and gave us an assignment: investigate and write about a supposed haunting in Guadalajara. Ideally we are supposed to talk to our host families or conversation buddies. As a last resort, we can do internet research, but he seems to think that pretty much every family has at least one story. So I guess I'll have to force a chat with Señora.

Anyway, another one that won't make it onto the blog. Now it's starting to seem like all the most interesting stories are missing. No wonder it seems like the only person reading it is my mom. ;-)

Love, Novela