Re: The Mountains Tremble

From: novela-harmon@bethel.edu
Date: Tues, Sep 19, 2017 at 4:26 PM
Subject: The Mountains Tremble
To: grace-k-nelson@bethel.edu

I'm assuming you read my blog post so there's no need for me to reiterate the information about the earthquake.

Instead I'll say that I think always secretly hoped to be near a disaster so I could be heroic. Now, I'm nearer than I ever have been, but I also feel more helpless than ever. I don't have access to much money here, I don't have much stuff to donate, I don't have a car, and I'm not close enough to help with searching or anything right now. So I just sit here and watch the news, pray for the families, and blog about it, hoping maybe I'll motivate someone back home to do something.

Still, I want to do something active. I am thinking that if the school can organize a trip, I will go. In fact, I think I am going to talk to Ruby about this. If we can get enough people we should be able to get a bus. I don't know where we'd stay, though, or what exactly there would be to do by the time we get there. Hmm. I just hate sitting here, and feel bad proceeding with my life as if something major didn't just happen a few states away.

But then I guess something always is happening, perhaps not to this magnitude or this near, but people suffer all the time and it's never stopped me from living my life before. Maybe for me this is a wake-up call about that, more than anything.

Pray for the people in Mexico City and Puebla and the surrounding states. One big earthquake should be enough for a country for a few years at least. Two big earthquakes in two weeks is a lot, and donations and volunteers are already spread kind of thin from all the hurricanes. Kinda almost seems like the end of the world. 

Please pray for the people, and for me, that if there is anything I can do that I'll be able to do it. And if there isn't, that I'll be gracious about it.

Signing off.

Novela