Re: Going for a ride

From: novela-harmon@bethel.edu
Date: Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 5:22 PM
Subject: Going for a ride
To: grace-k-nelson@bethel.edu

I got an email from Javier. He suggested Thursday would be a good day for a ride, since it's not supposed to rain and I won't have class. He said maybe we could go to Tonalá. It's supposed to be interesting, and I haven't been there yet, so that would be good.

I had noticed before on the schedule that there was no class this Thursday, although I only just found out why. It's called the "Romería." It's a kind of pilgrimage where they carry the "Virgin of Zapopan" from the Cathedral in Guadalajara to the Basilica of Zapopan to spend the rest of the year. It's a little statue of the virgin, I think some manifestation of the Virgin Mary, and it's the patron saint of Guadalajara.

I kind of wanted to go see the Romería since it's so different than anything we have and it's such a big deal in Guadalajara. I'm not sure about asking Javier though, since there seems to be such antagonism between Catholics and Protestants here. I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask. If he says no, a motorcycle ride to Tonalá on a nice day is not a bad backup.

Talk to you soon.

Love, Novela