Re: One more unhappy person

From: novela-harmon@bethel.edu
Date: Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 4:42 PM
Subject: One more unhappy person 
To: grace-k-nelson@bethel.edu

I made the mistake - turns out it was a mistake - of telling my mother about going to the mall with people from church. She wanted to know all about them, so I told her what I knew, which isn't much - names, a few jobs or other details I picked up, and approximate ages.

Now, when I've told her about breaking up with Levi, she seems to think it's because I've got stars in my eyes for one if these new guys. If she only knew. Of course, I'm not going to tell her about Alex, not until I get back and she can see for herself that I'm in one piece and not escaping to some far corner of Mexico to be his concubine. So of course there is no way she could know how ridiculous it is for her to jump to this conclusion. Hence, why I am unloading on you.

But, telling my mom about the breakup was the second-hardest part of it, and it's done. I don't think she cared that much about Levi, but she liked the idea of a nice, Christian, homeschooled boy. I wonder how the labels "nice" and "Christian" can carry so much weight when they might only mean "goes to Bethel." But that's a subject for another day.

Good luck on the exam!

Love, Novela