Re: Biggest city in the world

From: novela-harmon@bethel.edu
Date: Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 4:10 PM
Subject: Biggest city in the world
To: grace-k-nelson@bethel.edu

I'm in Mexico City. It was exciting as we finally drew close to the city I've been waiting to see for so long.  It's so different from Guadalajara. It's stinkier and grittier but also kind of more real, in a way, less palm trees and sugar-coating. Even though it's the capital and largest city in Mexico, people seem to speak English less and be more surprised to see foreigners. And Guadalajara's history and architecture just pales in comparison with Mexico City. Not only is it the capital of Mexico, it was the capital of New Spain, and before that of the Aztec Empire! I think few places in the world can compare to its breadth of history. Haha I'm starting to sound like Alex, and probably boring you, but it really does give me a sense of awe to be here.

Speaking of Alex, he did come as a chaperone. He had announced it in class, so I knew ahead of time, and to be honest it's kind of convenient to be in his class now because it's cancelled these three days. I was dreading having to try to avoid him while traveling, but it wasn't necessary. He just seemed to be out of my way the whole way here - when we loaded, on the bus, at the stops, when we unloaded. I don't know if it was just coincidence, or if he is again honoring my request to keep his distance. It seems kind of weird now, after going to the Romería all day, but it's probably just as well.

So I'm here. I was surprised that one of the largest cities doesn't seem to have a skyline like New York or Chicago. There are a few skyscrapers, but they don't seem to be concentrated in any particular area. It all seems sort of sprawling and unplanned.  I'd have to say, it's not as pretty as Guadalajara, and... smells worse. I know it experienced a serious earthquake recently, but it doesn't seem that was the cause. A lot of things seem to have been unaffected. It's just a massively big city with a lot of people. 

Anyway, we are meeting soon to discuss the agenda. I'll keep you posted!

Love, Novela