Chapter 12 - Strawberries

***dedicated to Zaynat Awoyemi, the friend who puts a smile on my face no matter what (the cooletst black person i know B)  <3 )

Maya

I had slept for two days straight, with out showering, food, nor water. I think it was about time i got up. My legs felt weak and head, dizzy. I stretched and looked in the mirror, after a while of endless crying, i think i had used up all  my tears. They wouldn't come out, they were gone; like Deena. I didn't bother cleaning up, my hair was still wildly curly, hanging down my back; it would survive. I rinsed out my mouth, which was as dry as the Sahara; trust me i went dirt biking there, its dry. Real dry.

I clung to the banister while walking down the stairs, boy was i weak. It was dark aswell. I had woken up at the complete wrong time, it was 8 pm. The house was empty, i didn't know where Elena and Stefan was. I remember seeing Elena the day everything happened. She cuddled me for God knows how long, then some how dragged me to the bathroom, where she got rid of all the blood and washed my hair and bathed me, before dressing me in my underwear and my oversized ELlvis Jail House Rock t-shirt.

I reached the kitchen, and switched the light on. It was spotless as if nothing had happened at all. The bin was full of take away boxes, and across the table restaurant flyers and menu's. I felt bad, Stefan and Elena were crashing here because of me; i was keeping them away from their life. I didn't even need looking after, i just fell asleep for two days, at least they would have alone time.

I walked over to the fridge. Empty. I walked over to the freezer and pulled out my tub of Ben And Jerrys cookie dough ice cream and grabbed a spoon; dropping on the kitchen stool and started eating.Not even three spoons in and my eyes were leaking again. UUUGH STUPID TEAR DUCTS!

I heard the sound of shuffling plastic bags and foot steps nearing me. Thank God Stefan was back i was starving.

'Stefan?' i murmured, my voice was weak and hoarse, i looked up to the arch way waiting for him. Instead he came. Damon.

'hi' i managed to whisper, my eyes were still leaking, DAMMIT.

'hey' he tried giving me a smile, but all i really got was him radiating sadness. ' I got some food, i figured you'd wake up soon' He started unpacking the bags in his hands. Bread, milk, chocolate spread, peanut butter, spaghetti, fruits, lasagne, couple of microwave meals, cookies, chocolate, ice cream, pop corn, random spices , so much food....

I was too weak to stand up, or even move for that matter. I wasn't mad at Damon right now, all i saw was him trying to look out for me, but that doesn't make what he did right. I didn't know what was going on! My eyes were leaking, my heart sunk in my chest and my throat closed up. I rested my head on the kitchen counter, trying to hold back a sob. I jumped when i felt some thing touch the back of me neck. Damon stood there, looking helpless. I couldn't help how i felt. I just wanted some one to hold me and say everything WILL get better. I twisted on the stool, to face Damon. He was slightly scared when i did so, considering i was swaying because of how weak i was. I grabbed hold of his black shirt and pulled him to me, wrapping my arms around his waist and burrying my head in his chest, hiding my face.

Damon

She put her head down on the kitchen counter; i could feel her heart beat accelerate and become irregular and heavy, her bresthing hitch. Something sunk in my chest, made my head and heart hurt. Gave me a physical pain in my soul. I reached for her, causing her to jump. SHIT! She looked at me, spinning in her chair, she rose up, grabbed my shirt and pulled me to her. I wrapped my arm around her shoulders, my other hand stroking her hair as i tried to comfort her. S he was getting weaker by the minute, her legs limp underneath her.

As much as i enjoyed holding her, She was going to pass out; she needed food, I brought my self to pull away from her.

'Maya you need some food, or else you'll pass out' I sat her down on the kitchen stool and rummaged through all the supplied i had bought. Microwave meals would be good, high in calories and energy and fast, she needed food soon. I tore away at the packaging leaving it in the microwave for three minutes. Lamb hot pot, seemed tasty to a human, right? I hoped so, i took it out leaving it to stand, while it cooled down. Maya was already drifting to sleep on the kitchen counter.

'Hey, hey Maya' I shook her and she moaned gently. I grabbed a fork and brought the plate to her =, standing besides her. I had a fork full of lamb hot pot human food stuff at the ready, all i had to do was open her mouth.

'say aah' i said in a whisper. She opened her mouth slowly, as i fed her. She was so slow at chewing! I smiled to my self. Three mouth fulls later, i heard Stefan come in, his face was genuinely shocked when he saw me feeding her.

'Damon...'  He walked over, unsure.

'Stefan, im a little busy right now' i replied frustrated, stabbing a peice of meat onto the fork.' Stefan go get some washing liquid we're all -'

'Da..Damon' Stefan and i looked down in sychrony. 'I can't eat any more, please' She feebly pushed the fork away.

'No, come on Maya try please'

'No, leave her, we dont want her throwing up Damon' Stefan had a point. He reached for the strawberries, threw them in a bowl and washed them, before picking the storks off. Maya instantly was up, chewing at them. I smiled so did Stefan.

'Where's Elena?' She asked in wonder.

'She's gone to help arrange for the bodies to be found in the right way...' His voice trailed off. As in Elena would pretend to be a camper who happens to stumble across some bodies. But it would be too far out of town to suspect any one from here, leaving the town and us in the clear.

'and i should be picking her up in....37 minutes ago...' Stefan sighed looking at him phone.

' go, i'll be fine' Maya said, smiling. Oh it was good to see her smile again, awake again, ALIVE again! S he stood up walking towards Stefan, who instantly swept her up in a hug, i looked down; at her long legs, only just realising she was just wearing a shirt and no bottoms.

'Maya?'

'yes' she said, sucking on a strawberry, God that was hot.

'why aren't you mad at me?' what if she was? maybe she was just hiding it?

'Damon' She groaned, leaning her head back, exposing her neck and shoulders.'i  am mad at you!' It was nice to see she had gained enough energy to speak a little louder now.

' im really mad at you, but at the same time i think that...that people deal with things differently...like some people watch desperate house wifes, others exercise or pig out or sleep or get wasted, you, ya know a vampire i guess kills'

' i see...' i said looking at her picking and choosing strawberries.

' im still mad though, i'm more cut up over Deena though, but the blonde girl had it coming, she wasn't a very nice person...and uh ..i' She broke off, looked at me and shrugged.

'I'm sorry, you know i would never hurt you...i'm sorry and i hope you won't stay mad forever...' i looked down helplessly.

'Damon, im not mad...not now any ways! You came with strawberries, can't be mad with these babies!' She bit into it eagerly.