Chapter 10 - The necklace

I never completely comprehended how hard it would be. I never really warned myself about this. But maybe it was because I never truly knew how hard it would be. I had never been in a situation like this - Not with anyone. I just thought it was just universal aknowledge how it would feel. 'Cause I had watched so many movies about it that I wouldn't need to be prepared.

The hardest part was having to hide my emotions, from none other than my parents. If they saw how broken I was, they would ask me tons of questions. And quite frankly, I knew nothing about how I could answer them.

No, it wasn't the end of the world. Michael was still living only a few houses away. And he was still my dad's bestfriend. But I still wanted to be with him, have him hold me, and kiss me.

I sat in my room on a usual Thursday afternoon, doing my homework. Even though my mind only was on Michael I had to try to focus. I just couldn't stop thinking about him. Then, i heard knocks on my door interrupting my thoughts.

"Yes?"

I turned to see my dad walk in. "Put on something nice, me, you and your mom are going out to dinner"

I smiled and he closed the door again. I sighed, putting away the homework. And again, I had to put on a smile.

____

We sat in one of my favorite restaurants in town, not too fancy, but not shabby either. It was just.. perfect. I used to come here with dad and Michael when I was little. But as the years went by, we didn' really go here that much. I don't know why. I guess we just forgot, or became too busy. It brought back a lot of memories.

I noticed how we were sitting at a table with two extra chairs, and I couldn't help but wonder if we were going to be accompained by others. And we hadn't ordered yet either. I looked at my dad, and were about to ask him about it when I noticed a familiar face walk through the door of the restaurant. Hand in hand with his girl.

My eyes widened, I wanted to smile to him as his eyes were glued to mine. But I couldn't make it so obvious about how happy I was to see him. I hadn't seen him in a week - ever since we "broke up". My heart was beating like crazy. I didn't know what to do. I kind of felt thin on air, but I had to keep my cool. And breathe.

"Michael! Alice" My dad smiled happily and greeted them. "Come sit. We waited for you to order"

They sat down, both of them opposite of me. I felt Alice stare me up and down. She knew something, or she thought she knew something. Either way, I was feeling more and more uncomfortable each minute. 

We had ordered, and gotten our food. But the big lump in my stomach made it hard for me to eat. My dad noticed. "Honey, are you ok?"

"Yeah! I'm fine" I lied, smiling to him - Hoping he would accept it.

"You have barely touched your food"

"Uhm.. Will you excuse me. I have to go to the bathroom" And before anyone got to say anything further, I rushed straight to the bathroom. Finally I could breathe out. Is there any possible way I can escape from this? I just need some time to gather myself. 

After a few minutes I walked back and sat down. I didn't say anything. I didn't really know what I could say. But luckily, no one tended to ask. I began eating - But then I noticed my necklace around Alice's neck, and I froze. I hadn't seen it before, probably because I was too hung up by the fact that Michael was sitting there too.

"Alice, how lovely your necklace was. Is it new?" my mom asked.

My body felt heavy. I was sure I was going to faint any minute. She smiled, both happily and proud. 

"Thank you! I love it. Michael bought it for me only last week" She put her hand on Michael's.

I looked at Michael, and he looked at me. Both incredibly uncomfortable, as we were the only ones knowing the truth about it. 

"It looks so much alike the one I bought for Jenny"

"Yeah, but mine is bigger. Like, the diamond is bigger." I replied quickly and nervously. The words felt like they were just falling out of my mouth without me being able to sort them. I swallowed hard. Alice gave me a strange look, before smiling devious. "I'm sure it's just as pretty as this"

I reciprocated the smile when I rather much wanted to slap her. 

The evening came to an end after we had our deserts. Well, the "grown up" talk didn't really end. I felt like they could sit there forever. And I didn't know how to participate, for they basically still saw me as a kid. Exept for Michael... and probably Alice too. 

We all went outside after we finished. Everyone hugged goodbye. I hugged Alice too, even though I rather not. I had to. I was going to part her, but she kept on hugging. Tighter.

"Stay away from him" she whispered, so close to my ear I could feel her breath harsh against my skin. My heartbeat raised and she parted with a smile.

"It was lovely eating with you. We should do it again sometime" She said keeping her eyes on me. I was in shock, but I had to put on a smile in order not to show my emotions to Michael nor my parents.

We walked towards our car and headed home. My thoughts were spinning on what she said. I had stayed away from him this entire week. So what was the problem? I can't believe she knows. Then she must have known about the necklace, that it was mine. And that I have been with him. But what is she going to do about it?

A/N - I was sitting at a cafe writing this, and then suddenly i heard "Billie Jean" on the speakers! Coincidence? I don't think so haha! 

Anyways, I hope you enjoy this part xxx