Splitting Seams

I watched at Nathaniel walked away from me, a haze was covering his eyes. His face was twisted with anger and angst, something very rare. He was always smiling but today everything was...dark. As our battle drew closer the more everyone seeped into the bad habits of doubt and depression. I had tried not to think about it as I needed all the strength I could get. I clenched my fists and flames ignited around them, 'Why do we exist?' I said out loud. The boys looked up at me, 'Why do we exist?' Nathaniel looked at me with angry eyes, 'Why do we exist? Freaks like us should've died.' 

'We're born to live. Not die.' Nathaniel spat walking over, 'We don't throw everything away. Like I said, we are born to live. Survive.'

Does he know? The look in his eye told me so. How did he find out? No, I can't think that yet. He might just be mad. 'If that's so, why isn't the human race still fighting like us?'

'Because they have no hope,' Jaymes said walking over to join us, 'They lost it the day they invaded. No one has really ever made an attempt to fight back.' 

Aaron grunted in agreement. He walked over as well with Tomas close at hand, 'What are you thinking hot head?' 

Turning my nose up at the comment I continued, 'We were born to save the earth. Did our parents know? Did they understand the weight that would soon be thrust upon us? If we weren't here would some one else be there, or would the world burn?'

'What brought this on?' Tomas questioned, 'It's not like you to question everything.'

'I'm just thinking out loud. I'm only wondering. Can you all honestly, look ME in the eye and tell me that you are not scared of what's coming? Can you?' 

Silence 

'That's what I thought.' I stepped back away from them. Tears welling up and my vision became blurred.

'What and you're nerves are made of steel?' Aaron scoffed, 'You think you're above us? You and your alien powers and the fucking fire! Oh my god you really are a fucking idiot. You think everything revolves around you? Oh look at me I'm a fucking fire magician. My nerves are made of steel, I can do anything,' He waved his hands and mocked me. He walked in circles around me, 'I'm fucking amazing, I can do all this. Because you're all scared I can do this by myself. That's what you're thinking isn't it?' He got right in my face, 'You think you can do all this,' he waved around again, 'By yourself.' I pulled my hand back and slapped him across the face, his back arching form the force. He fell to the ground holding his face, tears brimming. He looked up at me with shock horror painted on his face, 'You bitch!' He breathed. 

Tears were streaming down my face, my face was turned away from them. My chest rising and falling as I tried to speak, 'You think I have nerves of steel? I have been cursed since I was 6. You stand there and mock me. You hate me I get it....' I sobbed, 'But don't think for one second, for one fucking second that I'm not scared.' I threw my face up to face them all, 'You are the idiot making all these assumptions, I mean you don't know a fucking thing about me.' I half laughed and stood up straight, 'I am so scared about all this. You can cry about it, you can whinge and you can cry about your past. You can cry about the families you had. You have something to fight for, I don't. This fight will be my last and I will keep my promise.' I walked back and turned around, 'Don't follow me.' I jumped up on the small wall and then over the other side. I heard movement, 'DON'T FOLLOW ME!' 

I looked ahead, well tried since tears were blurring my vision. I ran off and didn't look back, 'WHAT ABOUT OLIVIA?' One of the boys shouted, 'WHAT ABOUT HER!' Those were the last words I heard before I turned the corner and left them there. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Nothing!' Jaymes shouted back at them, 'Absolute nothing. She's gone.' He coughed and jumped back down to join the others, 'What now?' The sky had grown dark and the stars weren't shining. Only rain met them that night.