Reminiscence

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nathaniel stared at the photo in his trembling hands. Tears gushing down his face as memories flooded his mind. He bit his lip to stop from screaming out in pain. He was alone in his room tucked in the very back corner. He threw his head back and looked at the ceiling, trying to stop the tears. He tapped his head against the wall for several minuets. He looked back down at the photo and smiled weakly, everything he had ever done was catching up on him. He lifted his spanner, which had fallen beside him, and examined it. Guy had given it to him several years ago to help boost his confidence. 

Nathaniel was a normal kid living on the streets in New York when the Aliens attacked. He was an orphan of thirteen with no life, no goals or hope. He wandered the streets gathering what little food there was to feed himself and a small group of humans hiding in an old apartment building. It was dangerous but he had no other options. 

One day he walked a bit too far and the Alien Sentinels saw him and attacked the street he was in. A resistance group emerged and helped the families get away but the offense was too great. Nathaniel did something stupid. He threw himself out in the open to distract the Aliens while the others escaped. Crying, he stood there arms out screaming at the Sentinels. One reached down and knocked him aside like a small pebble. He hit the ground hard, his head bleeding and then when he was about to be crushed someone jumped on him. 

Surprised he looked up and saw a young girl lying on top of him. She coughed, blood pouring out her mouth. She fell back onto the ground and when he sat up and saw three more humans and another in a wheelchair. He watched in horror as the girl died and dubbed him Nathaniel. He didn't know what to do but grab her hand and when he did something sparked, not like in his heart but through his arm and to his brain. He fell back into another persons arms and was taken away while the girl died in what looked like her brothers arms. 

He was taken back to the Underground which became his new home. He quickly adapted to the new surroundings but still felt out of place. He was assigned to a team alongside two girls and three boys. Emilie, Olivia, Tomas, Jaymes and Aaron. They all seemed very strong and talented but he had no real skill and when Guy offered him a place on the Ops team he quickly learned lots of basic skills with computers and machines. He became a team player from a distance. He didn't go on missions with the others as he feared he would be a burden. He was quiet tall like the other boys but smaller in frame. His blonde hair was always a mess, oils and dust was always there and something like grease, oil, black soot or something was always on his clothes. He always had a spanner in hsi pocket and a device in the other. He was different from the others. 

He always wondered what they have gone through but to be polite, he never asked. As the years went on he became a proper member and soon the others began to accept him. Tomas was hesitant at first from all the things that happened back in New York but soon, after some pushing, opened up a little. They became a strong team and Nathaniel loved it, being a part of something bigger with a cause. Everyday he was surrounded by people who actually loved him. Who cared enough to ask if something was wrong or if he was doing fine in training. 

When he and the others were betrayed by Guy nothing could have been more crushing. Since they left Washington he has felt nothing but dread and uneasiness. He tried his best to hide it from the others because along the way they discovered powers, something he lacked. All he did was work on machines and computers. The months flew by and they were in Rio and he still had no power. All his life, he just wanted to do something great and worthy. He was always the one who was kicked to the side first. When Emilie had shot that fireball at him and scared the shit out of him, he was glad as that had opened the door into his inner strength. Even though he was a little late, he felt like he could contribute more to the team now he had powers.