Fifty Four

Meek

After being in the room with Nicki I go out to everyone and let them know what was going on.

"Are they okay?" They ask eager.

"She had the baby" I say smiling. Both our moms hug me.

"How is she doing?" Her mom asks.

"They said she gotta get lots and lots of rest. Her and the baby. But you should of seen the smile on her face" I say.

"What you should see is the smile on your face" my mom says. I chuckle.

"Y'all wanna see her?" I ask. They all follow me to the NICU. I ask the nurse to move her closer to the window so everyone can see her and we all just admire her.

"My baby is a mother" Carol says crying. "I'm a grandmother to my daughter now". I smile and pull her into me for a hug.

"Nicki had a baby. It really just hit me" Candice says. I chuckle with everyone.

"Nicki is resting we can all go home and rest and come back tomorrow" I say.

"And wash up. It's been over a day for us right about now" my mom says. I laugh.

"Y'all can stay at the house with me" I say to our parents.

"I was heading to your house anyway. That's where Papi is with Omelly" my mom says. I shake my head laughing.

After leaving the hospital we all go home and rest up for tomorrow. Walking in my mama and Carol talks to Omelly while I went to sleep.

(Next day)

I put a bag together for Nicki and the baby. They wouldn't get out the hospital for another day but when they do, they can already have what they need.

"Here Meek" Omelly says giving me the baby car seat. I had to put it into the car and never got around to it. I secure it and then we all head to the hospital.

We go into the room and Nicki is still sleep.

"My baby is exhausted. She must of been so overwhelmed " Carol said caressing her hand in hers.

"Nicki is strong" my mama says while looking at her. "That girl is blessed." She says.

"Where is the baby?" Papi asks walking into the room with Omelly.

"She's with the other babies getting sleep" I say.

"My friend is sleep?" He asks pouting. I laugh.

"Yeah. She tired but she should be up soon" I say.

"Okay" he says. I give him his tablet and let him be distracted for a while.

Nicki

I felt like I haven't gotten sleep in about a week. When I wake up I see my mom, Kathy, Meek, Omelly and Papi sitting around the room.

"She's up!" I hear Papi says looking up at me. I smile .

"Morning baby" my mom says rushing to get closer to me. As if she wasn't two inches away already.

"Hey" I say feeling sore.

"How you feel?" She asks me.

"Sore...tired" I answer lowly.

"Nicki I'm so proud of you" she says kissing my forehead. I smile.

"Thanks mommy" I say.

"You thirsty? Hungry? Need any pain relievers?" Kathy asks.

"All of the above" I say laughing softly not to feel any pain from my stomach. She presses my call a nurse button.

"Hey friend" I say to Papi" he gets up and comes over by me.