Chapter 39

After dinner, Jake asked Athena if they could take a walk on the beach. It was dark but there are some glimmer of light from a few of the buildings by the beach.

Athena agreed, after all this might be the last time they are together. She can't miss that chance. 

His hands clasped around hers as they took time walking on the shore. 

"You know I don't want to end what we have right?" Jake asks as he looks at her sideways, smiling, assessing her.

"I know...but whatever happens, I want you to know- that, that I love everything we had here,"Athena said, it was sincere, coming from her heart. 

"Hey, why does it sound like we're never going to see each other again. I know we can't be like this all the time when we are back in Manila, but we will see each other whenever we feel like it. In fact, here- (he hands her a key) that's my key. A key to my apartment, come whenever you please. I want you to feel free to come by and even have a sleep over if you want to," he said.

Athena hesitated. Can she accept it? 

Before she can even decide, Jake puts the key in her hand. 

She just looks at him, not knowing what to say.

He smiled, he held her hand tighter- as if that will hold her in place- assuring her that he wants her in his life. 

Athena didn't say anything. What is there to say?

Jake took her silence as a yes, the key meant that she is his. It was only a matter of time, when he say the right words. The right words that will make what they have official. It is already a given that they love each other. He knows it, he feels it. There is no questioning that. 

Yet, deep inside him- he felt like she is holding back. She is holding back something, and in time, when she is ready to tell him what it is- he will patiently wait for it. For that right time, to know exactly what bothers her.

Suddenly, Jake stopped and pulled her close. 

I love you... he whispers.

Athena felt the sincerity, the truth to every word he uttered. She hesitated to reply, she wanted as much to say I love you,too...but she held back. Instead she wrapped her arms around him. She just wants to feel his warmth, his love and hopefully her silence won't offend him.

When they reached the house, Athena went directly inside the bedroom, she packed her bag earlier but she needs a couple more stuff to put inside her luggage. 

"I just have to finish packing...." Athena said, looking at Jake and then turning back to go inside the bedroom.

"Okay..do you want coffee? I need to pack,too but I'll wait until you're done," he replied.

She nodded and went in.

Jake went ahead and made coffee. He can't believe that tonight is the last night they are spending time together. Sure, they can always do it again when they go back to Manila, but the time spent here in Thailand is different, although they were forced to come here due to her circumstances, yet he still loved it. He loved every minute spent with her, he envisions a life like this- a married life like this. Marriage? He never thought about it until he met her. He knew she was the one, but it is still too early. He didn't want to scare her.