Chapter 28

Jake opened the door to his apartment and asked Karen (Athena) in.

"Come in..sorry for the mess." he said as he collected his shirt on the couch and tidied up a bit before asking her to sit.

"No problem...mine looks worse.." she lies. In truth, she is very neat and organized.

"Hold on..take a seat..I'll get the coffee.." he said.

Athena sat...while he gets the coffee.

Jake handed the cup of coffee to Athena aka Karen.

"Thanks," Athena said as she took the cup of coffee and looked down unable to look straight at him.

Jake cleared his throat before he spoke,"So,Karen...ahhhmm I am just wondering...if anyone might be worrying if you are not home yet at this time?" he asks and smiled, uneasy for his question, why? He doesn't have any idea.

Athena took the cup of coffee and drank a little, trying to figure out how to answer his question.

She was confused what he meant by it, after sipping the coffee, she held it between her hand and gripping the handle, she said hesitantly.."Ah you mean family? My...my family are not around anymore...th-they passed away..." she said and looked down at the cup of coffee adraid to still look forectly at him fearing he might see through her.

Jake suddenly felt sorry asking the question, he just wanted to really find out if she has a boyfriend, or worse, a husband but looking at her fingers- there is no ring. So he assumes she has nobody.

"I- I am sorry Karen...I, that's not what I meant..s-sorry.." he said apologetically.

Athena smiled before she took another sip of the coffee.

"No..it was too long ago..I'm used to being alone..." she said.

"Oh I see..." he said and in his mind he added, but why do I feel like I wanna take care of you?

He swallowed hard...

And stood up...

"Excuse me...I just not need to get something...by the way feel at home...I'll be right back... " he said to her.

Athena smiled again and said thank you.

ATHENA'S POV

Shit! What did I just do? What am I doing inside my supposedly enemy's lair? Have I gone mad?

She felt like pulling her hair to awaken her senses, but something inside her tells her she is right to be here!

Think hard Athena. Get yourself ready. You don't really have much of a choice but to do this!

That or you might as well kill him or kill yourself!

Haaaaah! Why am I hesitating?

Jake Espada..., why does it have to be you among them?

She finished the last of her coffee.

She has to do this, if she doesn't want to kill him. She has to do this.

She took a deep breath before she prepares herself and waited for him to come back.

I'm sorry Jake. This is the only way I can save you.

When Jake returns, he saw Karen/Athena quietly sleeping on the couch. She looks so peaceful that he hesitated waking her up.

He took a cold bottle of water and drank it.

He feels uneasy being this close to her.

He can smell her scent, a nice mild scent and her even breathing, a few strands of her hair blocks one of her eyes.

He looked at her from head to toe, his gaze lingered on her pink lips and then on her chest that is going up and down because of her breathing.

Damn! Goddamn this woman!

She fell asleep and she just finished her coffee! Wasn't it supposed to keep people awake?' She is strange, he thought. A strange but beautiful woman.

Jake felt his heart beat a little faster just looking at her.

He was towering over her, looking down at the beauty a foot away from him.

She looks peaceful that way, he decided to sit opposite the couch she is at and watched her.

He didn't know how long he was staring at her when she stirred.

Slowly her eyes opened, and quickly straightened up and sat the instant she saw him.

"Ahh..w-what am I doing? Did I just slept? Oh...I'm so sorry J-Jake..I have to go...I am sorry for troubling you... " she said.

Jake smiled, he thought she looks so cute with that worried look in her face.

He smiled.

"No, it was nothing. Are you sure? I will drive you home then.." He said, although he is hesitating. He was just being polite but the truth is he doesn't mind her staying.

She nodded and stood up,"Thanks for the coffee... " she started towards the door and waited for him to follow her.

When she was almost at the door, she stopped and looked back- not realizing Jake is very close- making her face a few inches away from him.

She looks up to him and smiled, "Thanks again...Jake," she said smiling.

She was going to kiss his cheek but he moved so instead her lips caught his lips instead.

Before she knows it, her lips are pressed on his- his arms on top of her head flat on the door.

"Karen..." His voice hoarse, he was swallowing hard as if trying to wait if she will resist.

Her lips moved which signaled Jake to kiss her. His lips moved as he claimed hers. Gently kissing her and then when her lips moved and opened apart, his tongue followed suit. Exploring her lips, her mouth while his hand lifted her chin to kiss her deeper.

Nooooo, what are you doing Athena! Stop him...stop him! But...why does it feel good? Why am I letting him kiss me? But isn't this what you wanted? To seduce him ? Why does it seem to be the other way around? It feels like she is the one getting seduced!

Nooooo...noooo.. She was about to protest but instead the sound came out of her sounding more like a moan instead- allowing Jake to keep kissing her- deepening, now his hands behind her back, caressing her.

His hands feel warm against her skin.

She never allowed any man to touch her, Why now Athena? You are insane Athena! Stop him while you still can!

Noo...you can't Athena. You need him like this if you really want to save his life.

Pretend. Pretend you like him. Pretend you want him.

Then she kissed him back. She followed what he is doing and did exactly the same thing..

Lips against lips.

Tongue against tongue.

Her hands roam against his hard, warm body.

Suddenly it doesn't feel like she is pretending anymore.

It felt natural.

As if they are meant to do it with each other.

As if they have been kissing with familiarity.

As if their touch belongs for each other.

As if their shared intimacy was meant to be shared.