Chapter 36

Jake went out for a walk by the beach.
She usually goes with him but made an excuse of not feeling too good. Jake wanted to stay by her side but she said she might just have some shut eye for a bit.

It was 5 in the afternoon.

Athena used the chance to check his files and took note of all the people who might be behind killing Jake. She knew for sure it would be the same people who ordered her to kill him. They don't have any idea that Nemesis is a woman, so if they find out Jake was in hiding with a woman (her) then they would only suspect her as a weakling girlfriend in hiding with her boyfriend or just simply on vacation. They wouldn't even connect the dots that it was Nemesis trying to shield Jake from his would-be executor. Although she was his supposedly executor who didn't have the heart to kill him.

Yes, she didn't have the heart to kill him. Her heart is all broken up and shattering just the thought of it. Why now all of a sudden ? Before, she has no qualms whatsoever of killing anybody. But now, even if it wasn't Jake- the thought of using her own hands to kill somebody is sounding more and more repulsive it is making her vomit. Has she finally learned how to feel guilty? That what she was doing was all wrong? But what about her finding out the truth of who her father's killer was? Will it come to naught?

She took mental notes of the possible identities of the possible suspects. She might have to sneak a trip to Manila to try to hunt these people. Only when she can get rid of them will she be calm to finally end things with Jake and go far away and maybe even retire from this dirty business. She has enough money in her Swiss bank account to last her a lifetime without even lifting her fingers to work. She can enjoy a European quiet life.

But why does she want to have that quiet life with Jake in the picture? It is not possible. Not without telling him who she really is. The moment she tells him who she is will be the end of everything. Them being back to real enemies. Jake being the one who will make sure to put an end to Nemesis. She knew that. And she is somehow selfish enough not to make herself rot in prison. She'd rather die.

"I guess this is the price I have to pay for everything that I did. Losing someone I love, sacrificing my own happiness behind lies and avoiding the feeling of betrayal that he might feel if I tell him the truth," Athena thought.

Right now she knows that her first priority is to make sure no one bothers Jake, worse kill him. And if she can somehow make that happen, then she will go away. Nemesis will be dead, only in name. And maybe she can live a life being Athena.

JAKE

The afternoon breeze felt good. Jake always liked being around water, especially the ocean. He loves to swim especially and do walks on the shore.

Too bad she's not feeling well, it would have been better walking alongside her.

He smiled.

Just thinking of her make him happy. It took a lot for him to leave his job for a vacation like this. But he still gets updates on the on-going investigations he is handling in Manila. Thanks God for technology. The hunt for Nemesis is on a back burner but he is not losing hope. He felt like he was so close to getting Nemesis. He has that strong intuition as a detective. He just have to figure out the real identity of Nemesis, then all the rest is easy. But Nemesis seem to always be a step ahead of him. Making him feel less superior somehow. It is as it Nemesis is taunting him, and that's making his blood boil even more. He is itching so hard to catch Nemesis, and when that happens it will probably the best feeling ever for him- career-wise and ego-wise.

He shifted his thoughts on Karen, he asked her several times to let him meet her family but she avoids the topic. She just says she doesn't have any. He felt like she was hiding something from him but he didn't want to push the issue. Maybe she just didn't want to put a burden on their relationship - not involving their families into it yet.

Jake knew deep inside him he could easily see himself with Karen- together in marriage. He is just afraid to know whether or not she feels the same way. He knew she loves him alright but she isn't too vocal to say it, she makes him feel it though and maybe it is enough for now.

Jake wants to tell her he wants to go back to Manila next week, it's been long and he can't keep delaying his return to work. He'd love to spend everyday like this with her but he also has a duty to do and a mission to accomplish. And his dedication to work means a lot for him.

It would be hard to break the news to her but he doesn't have much of a choice.

"I just hope she'd understand," Jake thought as he continues to walk.

........