Chapter 22

Athena parked her car back at the place where she was a while ago, the bar.

She smiled as she got out of the car and went back inside.

"Keep your friends close, your enemy closer."

Very appropriate for him, Athena thought.

Why is she running away from him, when being close to him would favor her? She sat where she was seated a while ago, luckily nobody is occupying it.

The bartender eyed him, surprised to see her again.

"Hey, did you forget something?" he asks.

"Yes, did you happen to see a pair of keys. I seem to misplace it and realized I must have left it here?" she said, the lie came out of her smoothly.

He looked around and checked if someone handed him something found,"Nope, nothing. Maybe in your car?" he asks.

"Yes, I will do that, for now, can you give me a Long Island ice tea please..thanks.." she said.

Let's see if you are coming back here Jake..are you quick to find an alibi? she thought and smirked.

Jake was confused when he saw her car park. It was where they were a while ago. The bar.

He hesitated whether or not to follow her back inside or not.

He chose the latter. Instead, he parked his car discreetly away without being noticed in case she leaves soon.

What is she doing back inside? She forgot something? he thought.

He was eyeing the entrance of the bar, when his phone rings.

"Hello.." he answered.

"Jake..I have to see you." the voice said.

Jake was surprised, he wasn't expecting to hear from this person this soon.

"Okay, just tell me where you are..." he took note of the address and immediately started the car, that woman can wait, we will cross paths again, right now I have more pressing things to do than wait for some woman, he said to himself.

Athena went out of the bar ten minutes after Jake left. She casually went back to her car and drove. She didn't see the shadow of that man, her supposedly captor. She smiles, if he can catch me, she said mysteriously.

Athena's thoughts however is still with the handsome detective, she knows he is a dangerous enemy but for some reason even that didn't seem to halt her sudden interest in him personally. She can't be blamed though- for sure she is not the first to be physically attracted to him. But Athena never embraced the idea of being attracted to the opposite sex. She thinks they are only after getting something from women and if they had it already they just drop these weak women like a hot potato and move on to the next victim. Athena thinks men are only after sex- they only make love as an excuse to bed women, and when they did- gone is the interest.

She's only human, but unlike other women she is not blindsided by physical attraction alone- she doesn't allow herself to act on it. She doesn't allow herself to cross that line, much more love. It is not in her vocabulary.

She doesn't trust men. The only man she ever trusted was her father figure. And he is gone.

She reached her place and opened the door with her key.

Once inside she turned the tv on, got herself a cold bottled water and sat on her couch.

She flipped the channel until one of the news channel has a flash report.

A bank robbery.

Three killed, all of which police officers. The robbers are being chased.

"That's probably why that detective had to leave soon and unable to continue tailing me..." She thought. He was probably heading towards the scene.