Chapter 49

Athena immediately got back to work as soon as she reached her hideout. Saving Jake was risky. Something that Nemesis should've not done. But that was something she cannot overlook. For the sake of the one time fantasy she lived. The time she thought she could live a normal life. She was thankful of that time. She doesn't regret anything. After all, she deserved it,too - just like anybody else but she knew she can't continue being happy when she was deceiving Jake all along. Her feelings for him were true, it was her own identity that she can't divulge yet. At least not yet. When she is done with what she has to do, maybe then. Maybe then, she can finally divulge who she really is- and accept whether or not he will accept her, that is yet to be seen.

She was careless taking a shower like that while Jake was unconscious- but she needed to. She doesn't have time to go back to her own place and get to work.

All the time being Nemesis- she thought the name defines her. But it doesn't. It was all a sham. She didn't have a choice. For a promise, she did it all because of a promise. A promise she intend to keep until she met Jake. She still wants to fulfill the promise, but she needed to live a life,too. A life that she can be who she is - Athena not Nemesis.

She received a coded message earlier. And she knew Jake left the apartment already. Leaving the note was also risky. But she took the time to conceal anything in the note that will give away her true identity.

There was a mission she has to do, and if she is successful then she can finally say goodbye to her identity as Nemesis. By then she can make some choices- choices that might involve Jake, or not.

Jake connected his computer and went to work. Updated the data he has on Nemesis and tried to remember all the details as much as he can. Of course it doesn't help that he was unconscious. He had the area checked where he was but it was clean. No sign of those people he saw. No hints, no new information to be processed. His intel was reliable though. Nemesis showed up. He sent a message to his intel earlier, and he is yet to get back at him. While waiting for anything related to Nemesis, he concentrated on the note that Nemesis supposedly left. There was no telling whether it was someone's handwriting. It was neatly printed in bold letters. Anyone could have easily written the note. Maybe it was just a ploy to make him believe it was Nemesis but maybe it wasn't. If it was Nemesis why would he just leave him alone. Why not kill him? He is the leader of the task force responsible to catch Nemesis, so he should've been the first on his hit list. He knew he would've shot Nemesis, not fatally but enough to disable his movements. He wants him alive no matter what. But he was quick and prepared. It felt personal, knowing Nemesis didn't hurt him. Yet, the agent inside him wants to make sure that Nemesis pays the price of his sins. His work is that of a vigilante for hire- but still it is not right. He is neither God, nor is he. He believes in justice and he wants to make sure it is served- and he intends to serve it and put Nemesis behind bars.

He looked at the note again.

Why on earth would I stop looking for him? Why is he even concerned of my own safety?

Puzzled, Jake stood up and looked out. It was still dark out. He felt the chill of his air conditioning, he went and adjusted it and decided for a shut eye. Tomorrow he will start fresh, maybe he will remember something. Maybe he will figure out the cryptic note Nemesis left him which confused him immensely.