Heart Shaped Box

Heart Shaped Box

13th April

Declan's POV

It's been a long week since we had lunch at Dad's place, it's mostly been waiting for this day to arrive to confirm with the doctor that we're having a baby, if the missed period is any indication, and the six positive home tests that she took, Bell's definitely pregnant.  I think the biggest thing that made her go a little crazy, she's always had a set plan and anything unexpected always throws her off the rails, and this bubs has done a good job of that. I can see she's slowly coming to terms to the fact that she's going to be a Mum before she's eighteen, she'll get over it soon enough, it's not like she's the only one it's happened too.  

"Babe, check this out." Bell was grinning as she held something behind her back, I was sitting at the table trying to work out some of the expenses I need to pay, I didn't want to live here for free like Matt and Summer had offered.

"Are you gonna show me or just stand there like that all day." I chuckled and looked at her with an amused grin, she looks like she's found a present underneath the christmas tree with her name on it and is dying to open it.

"Oh, yeah." she giggled and pulled a large bright pink heart shaped box out from behind her back and placed it on the table in front of me, it is labeled 'Isabella Autumn Taylor ~ 10/01/20', it does have her name on it.

"Where did you find this?" I asked her as she sat down on my lap and pulled the lid off the box, and we both looked into it, she gasped as she picked up a little pink beanie and a pair of booties, that was sitting on top of everything else.

"I found it up in the store room upstairs" she smiled and held the little pink items in her hand, the beanie was the same size as her palm, they look almost too delicate to even touch.

"Awww baby, look how small this is, I used to wear this." she gushed as she rubbed her fingers over the knitted wool, I leaned over more and there was a big pile of photos. Hell she was so tiny, the top one I can see is where she's hooked to a breathing machine, and Matt had his hand near hers, her tiny fingers were wrapped around one of his fingers, I see nothing has changed much there.

"It's very cute." I smiled, there were a couple of small hospital tags, a card that had her name on it, a pink teddy as well, and a specimen cup with something gross looking inside of it.

"Babe, what the hell is in there?" I asked her as I picked it up to have closer look, she was going through the photos and I saw a few of both her and Nick together in the incubator, I see nothing has changed there either, those two attached at the hip.

"I think it's my umbilical cord." I turned and saw her scrunched up face as her eyes squinted a little, I quickly dropped it and made her laugh, that's just gross, keeping something like that for all these years.

"Is there a reason why you're showing me this?" I asked as I kept my eyes on the photos as she went slowly through them, it looks like all of them are just from their stay in the NICU. That must have been so frightening for that to happen to your wife and babies, but I'm glad everything worked out, otherwise I wouldn't be here with this crazy gorgeous chick.

"I want to make one of these for each child we have, don't you think this is cool, something so they can look back to the first few weeks of life, just like I can." she turned to me, her smile was huge and she looked excited about the idea, wow, she should've found this box earlier, then that argument wouldn't have happened. She's a silly girl sometimes, but I'm so crazy in love with her, that those things don't matter to me, even with the way her mind works, screw the timing, we're having a baby, specially since not that long ago, it was never gonna happen.