Burn For You

Burn For You

21st/22nd March

Matty's POV

21st around 10pm 

Sums and I were having a few drinks with Katie and Kaleb to celebrate the birth of their new baby grandson, Jake Dylan Williams, who was born last night. Tyler and Kayla have waited so long for this day to arrive and the both of them are super happy and it's hard not to feel their excitement as well. Today was also a day for us to think about our little angel Autumn who left us all too soon, twenty six years ago today Sums had her miscarriage, that makes me feel really old and it still only feels like yesterday when I got that phone call.

It's been an emotional two days for us, learning of Declan's infertility yesterday, Sums had broken down more than I did, it's one of those things that parents always hope and wish that their children would give them grandkids. Hearing that Izzy will not get that chance biologically really hurt her deeply, you know all those girlie things that mother and daughter plan and do, she won't get that chance now, I'm proud of my baby girl for sticking by Declan. I've also been worried about the both of them as they have gone to the shack for some rest and relaxation, with that lunatic still on the loose, it just makes that feeling worse.

"What's got you deep in thought Babe?" Sums asked as she wrapped her arms around my waist from behind, I was staring out to the backyard, I had all the lights on and everything was locked, I pretty much had it like fort knox, like it is everynight.

"Do you think they're alright?" I whispered, I couldn't sleep at all last night and probably won't tonight either until I know they are safe under this roof, but it was good for them to have that time alone, specially with those test results.

"I hope so, plus we have David and Helen there, they have been watching over them for us." she said softly, I know that, it's just hard to be this far away from her when that bastard hasn't been caught yet. I haven't heard my daughters voice since I made that phonecall to her yesterday after they had arrived at the shack, I called up Dave as soon as I left for work to let him know what was going on, he promised to make sure she was safe and would call me if and when they went anywhere. That does make me feel better knowing there's someone watching over them, it just feels harder because it's not me, and it scares me each time my phone rings. 

"I know, I'm trying to think positive." I gave her a smile and kissed her on the top of her head, we were about to head back to the table where Katie was taking her sweet ass time to shuffle the cards when my phone rang, it's Dave.

"Hey Dave, how's things?" I asked as I answered the call, I sat down at the table and took a sip of my coke, no way I'm drinking tonight, Kaleb was watching me carefully as he sipped on his his beer, I think he's been trying to cheat while no ones been at the table,

"Yea good, just had Isabella and Declan over for dinner, they stayed for a while, and have just headed back to yours, looks like they've headed off to bed for the night." I instantly felt better knowing that they were there and have headed back, it's even better that Dave is a retired police sargeant.

"Thanks heaps, Dave, I'm going crazy not knowing." I sighed, I got looks of concern from Katie and Summer, I rolled my eyes, just because I had one heart scare, they think I'm a fragile piece of glass.

"My pleasure, you know I'd help out with anything, you're like our family Matt, have a good night, and you know the drill, if you don't hear from me until sunrise, I'll be waiting for your call." he chuckled, yeah, I knew he was going to say that, and it's true, he's been the last one I talk too at night and the first in the morning, apart from my wife that is.