Chapter 60. Intuition*

Start from the beginning

"I respect that Evan, but if something happens, he needs to know," Xavier replied as he pulled an armchair closer to her and sat down.

"No, he needs to be able to go into this with a clear head. I will not forgive you if you say anything. How could you tell anyway?" Evan said, grimacing against another sharp pain in her side. She regarded his pale blue eyes set in an aristocratic face framed by dark brown hair. She would have to watch this one, as the depth in his eyes must only be the surface to what he knew.

"It's fairly obvious, you've had a grim face all afternoon. I've helped you move twice," he said with a wry laugh.

"The moving part is expected. I'm growing like a balloon and most pregnant women end up needing help," Evan said defensively. "And Emil knows that I'm having some pain, I told him that already."

Sighing, Xavier continued, "You forget, I told you I share some of your gift. I can feel your weakness."

Evan looked sharply at the male sitting next to her, seeing him in a  new light.

"You are weak and the blood you had is not going to be enough. You'll need to feed more often until the little one comes," he added.

"I do feel washed out. Like I have an overwhelming fatigue I can't seem to shake," Evan admitted.

"I'm not surprised. That little thing in you is growing ten times faster than a human infant and you are still a Newborn yourself. Let me get you some of the blood from the warmer," Xavier said as he made to stand.

Evan reached out and pulled him back down, "No! Then Emil will know something is wrong."

"As soon as they leave then," he promised. Evan nodded in response, now looking forward to the moment the others left, so she might get some respite from her hunger and weakness.

Up on the roof of the tall building, Malachi and Hannah were amazed by the vibrant colors surrounding them. They had not expected a botanical garden. Flowering trees lined the edge of the roof in large containers. Redbuds, weeping cherry, lilac, and tulip trees showed off their beautiful blooms in the warm spring afternoon. Decorating the flowerbeds running along either side of the covered pool were jonquils and tulips, the crocus having bloomed already.

"This is amazing!" Hannah exclaimed.

Malachi nodded in agreement. "Emil must have a green thumb, or his secretary. I have the impression he does not allow strangers here."

The two silently made their way through the garden, coming upon a gazebo that appeared to have been painstakingly handcrafted. The view was magnificent, encompassing the Arch, the river and the city that gave way to rolling countryside in the distance.

"Can I ask you something, Malachi?" Hannah said, uncomfortable with the silence that was drawing out between them.

"Of course," he answered, turning to look at her out of the corner of his eye. He enjoyed watching the blonde hair playing across her face in the March wind, and the way she impatiently kept trying to tuck it behind her ear.

"Why didn't the Guardians kill me when they had me in custody?" she asked pointedly.

Malachi straightened up from the railing and turned to face her. "I honestly do not know. I never asked. I've operated so long from the standpoint of doing what I was told and not questioning it, I'm embarrassed to say I did not give it any thought."

"Do you have any guesses?" Hannah pressed impatiently.

"I could come up with a few theories, I suppose. Maybe they were trying to use you to draw one of their enemies in. Or perhaps they liked what they saw and were holding off on the inevitable. I don't understand how the Brethren work. I quit trying to figure them out many decades ago," he answered as he reached to tuck a stubborn strand of golden hair behind Hannah's left ear. She was small enough that he had to look down to meet her eyes.