Brother

I glanced back and forth between my legal guardian and brother, they were hiding something. That, or they were nervous to say it. I decided to break the silence. "So... my name has been cleared... yay." My unenthusiastic declaration was matched by their wary expressions. "Guys, what the fuck is going on? You're killing my buzz." Well, whatever buzz I had left. I should be happier about the news, now everything would go back to normal. Yet, everyone around me wasn't as excited as I wished they'd be.

I turned to Yukio and he forced a smile, "I'm happy for you, Nii-san. This is great, now no one can bully you at school." I realized that my logic had been flawed, my life wouldn't go back to the way it was. Everyone knew I was the son of Satan for fucks sake. I sighed, well, at least I had one less issue, that's a positive.

I shifted my gaze to Mephisto, who had already started driving away from the station. I stared a hole through the back of his head and eventually, he sighed. "You Okumura's have some issues that need to be figured out. And as your legal guardian, it's my duty to help you in that process." My fingers traced over my newly bandaged arm and I felt a blush tinge my cheeks.

"I'm sorry, it was really dumb of me. I won't do it again." We were coming up to a stop sign and he stepped on the breaks, a little too hard, though. Yukio and I jolted forward and my seatbelt dug into my chest. We both groaned and I cussed. Mephisto turned in his seat, and it was the first time I saw him look angry, ever.

"You won't do it again? How many times have you told yourselves that? Huh? There will always be another time unless you do something to stop yourself." He sighed, turned back to the wheel and continuing to drive. "When Shiro found you two, he appointed me as your Godfather just in case anything ever happened to him. You two know I love to wager, but I would have never guessed that your father would have died. And I sure in hell didn't expect you two to do something so... idiotic. What would Shiro think of you two?" This was quite the personality shift for him, it was like he was a completely different person.

I stared out my window, but I couldn't see much because the night had shadowed everything in sight. "Why do you care so much?" I mumbled, a bitter taste in my mouth. "We are just the brats you inherited after some measly human died." I felt the tension in the car grow exponentially and when I glanced over at Yukio, he had tears streaming down his face. I disregarded all safety laws and unbuckled my seatbelt, scooting over next to him. "Hey..."

I wrapped an arm around his shoulder and he turned in his seat to hug me. "Oh god, Rin..." he sobbed, "I miss Dad so much." I squeezed him tightly and sighed, bottling my emotions in.

"I miss him too, Yukio." I rubbed circles in his back and after a few minutes, he calmed down. We arrived at the academy and Mephisto waved to the gatekeeper before driving up the blacktop. We got to the heart of campus and he slowed the vehicle to a stop.

He turned to us and his expression was unreadable. "When you get out of the car, stay put. I'll return in a minute." I nodded and reached to push Yukio's door open. "By the way," he said in a low tone, it was almost threatening. I paused, my fingers on the door handle. "Shiro was not 'some measly human' to me." I swallowed hard and pushed the door open. Yukio unbuckled his seatbelt and got out first, drying his eyes. Mephisto laughed cheerfully, and it scared the living shit out of me. "As for you two being brats, I think I'd prefer to leave no comment on that."

I grunted, "you've said enough for us to get the hint." I slipped out of the vehicle and slammed the door shut. He drove off and I turned to Yukio, whose eyes were red. "Hey, it's okay. Things can only get better from here, right?" I was surprised when he shook his head, violently so. "What, why not?"

He inhaled shakily, "Nii-san, Sir Pheles is going to send us away."

I blinked a few times, unsure what I just heard. "What do you mean? He wouldn't do that, we have to attend the academy." Surely Yukio was just exaggerating because of his emotional state.