Bedside vigil

"You need to go home Jacob," Paul Rose, Connie's long time friend and confidante told him.

"I promise I'll sit and talk to her whilst you get some food and some proper rest,"

Jacob sighed, he was exhausted and he felt a mess, "call me if..."

"Of course,"

"Look... I know it may not mean much coming from a man you've only met once but she really loves you," he told him kindly as he took Jacobs seat by her beside, "she came back from travelling and showed me the pictures and I could see it on her face how much..." He smiled, "and I could tell when I saw the two of you together how right you are for each other,"

Jacob shook his hand, "look after her for me,"

"Always," Paul nodded kindly.

"So Miss Chase, seems like you've stolen another mans heart," he smiled, his fingertips running across her cheeks gently,

"He's different from the others though Con... He loves you for you, not because you look good on his arm..." He smiled, "do you remember all the fun we used to have," he smiled, "you know in another life Id have been the one to marry you, not Michael," he smiled, "Come on Connie, you're never usually is quiet."

It had been three weeks and although the scans showed the swelling on her brain had subsided, she hadn't shown any signs of waking up.

Jacob had returned to work and between him, Paul, Charlie and Duffy they managed to make sure someone was always with her.

Paul and Jacob watched as the Consultant reviewed her right leg. It had been badly broken and was patched up using an external fixation frame.

"You really think that's a salvageable limb?" Paul asked as Jacob raised his eyebrow,

"Time will tell Mr. Miles commented... But the last thing this woman needs is to undergo another op for an amputation."

Jacob exhaled, "this is ridiculous... Everything is clear, why isn't she waking up."

"No one brain is the same," the Consultant offered calmly, "we have no reason to believe that she won't wake up, it's just a waiting game I'm afraid."