Family

"Something arrived in my office for you," Trisha smiled, "not sure how it found its way upstairs,"

"Thank you," she smiled, recognising the handwriting from all the visas she'd watched him complete.

"Do you want a coffee?" She asked her old friend who nodded gently, "I'll make it, you open that post."

Trisha watched as Connie ran her hands over the photographs, before she unfolding the letter.

"Beautiful Connie,

It's been a month since we stood at Heathrow airport together and I finally got these printed. They reminded me of what amazing things we saw; and what a great time I had with you.

I hope you're well, I hope life is treating you better than before, and I hope you're finding sometime to relax between it all.

I miss you... your laugh, your voice, I miss you in a bikini playing volleyball. I miss you curling into my chest when you're tired or cold.

Look at these pictures, you look incredible.

Come and spend a weekend with me in Cardiff, it's not Thailand or the northern lights, but we could be together again.

Jacob xx"

Connie sat beside Trisha and nodded as she asked to look at the letter and the photographs.

"You look happy with him," Trisha smiled, "he certainly has a way with words and can take a great photograph,"

"What do I do Trisha? He lives so far away and I... Michael cheated on me under my nose..."

"Go and see him," Trisha told her decisively, "you spend four months travelling the world with him, go and see him in his home environment... See if he's the man you thought he was."

"And if he is?"

Trisha smiled, "then the worlds your oyster."

She knocked on his door a few weekends later. She shuffled nervously, he didn't know she was coming and she was scared that she'd be an unwanted surprise.

"Hello," smiled an older woman with a beaming smile,

"Hi... This is a bad time isn't it... Oh I knew I was stupid to think I could just..."

A gentle hand was placed on her arm, "Connie isn't it?" She asked as Connie nodded, "I'm Tanya... Jacobs mum..."

"He's mentioned me?" She asked, and Tanya nodded, "he has,"

"I..."

Tanya smiled, "it's Elle's birthday... His sister, were in the middle of making dinner... It would lovely if you could join us,"

"I don't want to interrupt,"

"You're very much welcome... You managed to put the smile back on my boys face," she nodded,

"Who is it Ma?" Jacob asked and Tanya stepped out of sight, "it's for you,"

"Well tell them to come in its freezing out there,"

"You'll want to go out and greet her,"

"Con?" He uttered, his face breaking into a huge smile as he looked at her, "God, it is you... What a surprise, come here sweet cheeks..."

She wrapped her arm around his neck tightly and he lifted her, spinning her around before placing her down. Her hands went to his cheeks as his tucked her hair behind her ears, "you look... You look... Jesus woman," he smiled, pulling her too him and kissing her gently,

"Uncle Jacob, who are you kissing?" A young voice uttered, causing them to smile and break apart,

"It's the lady from your holiday photos," another young girl smiled,

"Everyone this is Connie... Yes Paige she's the lady from my photos... Connie this is my Ma, my sister Elle, and her children Paige and Jade... Oh and my dad Harry,"

"It's so nice to meet you all," she smiled,

"Jacob pour her a drink and take her bag upstairs... Here Connie pass me your coat and your shoes."

"That's better," he smiled as she cuddled into him in the kitchen, "I never remember you in heels,"

"You're probably the only person who's used to me in flats," she smiled.