CHAPTER 43

"Mom?" I repeated and blinked a few times to make sure that it was, indeed, my own mother standing there. Harry on the other side started to shake in what could only be jitters and nervousness.

It was, in fact, the first time he would meet my mother, so I guess that could explain his tight grip around my hand.

"Melissa! What happened, sweetie?" She asked in concern, while walking towards the bed. Her eyebrows were furrowed and her lips frowned, she actually looked concerned. I scoffed internally, what happened with not being her child anymore?

"So, suddenly I'm back to being your daughter?" I said sternly and I could just feel Harry's disapproving gaze beside me. I just couldn't forget all of the horrible things she had said to me. My own mother judged me and threw me out of her home for simply trying to chase my dreams.

"Melissa, don't be like this." She shook her head, glancing between Harry and me in confusion. She opened her mouth to say something; I knew she was about to ask who Harry was, but I wasn't finished with her yet.

"No, mom. You can't just say those things to me and come back here pretending to be concerned about me." After arguing with Harry, than with Ana, getting Harry to forgive me and now dealing with my mom, my head was bursting in pain and all I wanted was for her to go away.

"I'm sorry, Melissa, I really am." She looked at me apologetically and I could feel my brain pounding inside of my head, making me close my eyes and rub my temples.

"Could you just stop calling me Melissa?" I spat in annoyance.

"I'm sorry, Mel. I did some thinking and you're right, I shouldn't be holding you back from following your dreams, much less judging you and imposing my dream as your lifegoal." Was I dreaming?

"I just... After getting that call from Luke telling me that you were in here and that you were involved in an accident... It just put it all in perspective, you know? And I'm sorry for all of the things that I said, I know I wasn't easy on you and this will definitely take some time for me to get used to, but I'm here for you, Mel. I'll always be."

My mom just stared back at me, as I watched her in awe. I couldn't believe she was actually saying those things. That was all I ever wanted to hear from her since I told her I was switching majors.

"You're serious, right?" I couldn't help but ask, because this woman in front of me was a complete different person than the one I talked to only a couple of days ago.

"I am, sweetie, I am." She chuckled and grabbed my hand, as a small smile played on my lips and Harry watched us intently.

"Thanks, mom. You don't know how much this means to me." I told her honestly.

"I just want you to be happy, darling. What kind of mother would I be if I didn't?" She smiled, before pressing a sweet kiss on my cheek and engulfing me in a motherly hug.

As she pulled back, I could see her eyes reflecting mine, they were glossy and as soon as she blinked, a couple of tears rolled down her cheeks, but she was just as fast to wipe them away, giving me another smile.

"Now, mind telling me what happened and who is this fine gentleman?" She smiled at Harry and my heart warmed at her sincere tone.

One of my biggest fears was that my mom wouldn't approve of Harry based on what he looked like. I was so worried about it that I always pushed the thought of introducing them aside.

"Oh, uhm... This is Harry, he's my boyfriend." I motioned towards Harry and he extended his hand to shake my mother's.

"So nice to meet you Mrs. Hayes." Harry said shakily.