CHAPTER 39

"Listen, I know you've got a lot going on right now, so I'll leave you to deal with that, but, here..." Gemma took her phone out of her purse handing it to me, while expecting me to give mine to her, which I did.

"Okay, here's my number, call me anytime you want, alright? I'm serious, anytime, Harry. If you need anything or just want to talk, I'll always be available, except when this little one decides to come out, then I'll be a bit busy with uhm... You know, labour and stuff." She chuckled and I nodded, silently thanking her, making me realise just how much I had missed her dry sense of humour.

She didn't know just how much she had changed my life telling me all that, since I was still too proud to tell her, but deep down I knew she knew it. She had to, we were siblings, we had that kind of connection, despite wanting it or not.

"Thanks, Gemma. Let's keep in touch, yeah? And I want to meet this husband of yours." I frowned, deepening my voice and puffing my chest out, pointing a long finger at her. Gemma just giggled and shoved me lightly.

"So you can give him your 'not-older-but-bigger-brother-speech'? Yeah, right, as if I would allow that to happen, I don't want you to scare him away, too, you know?" She sarcastically scoffed and punched my bicep, reminding me all of the 'talks' I used to have with her ex-boyfriends, to purposefully scare them away. I was a very protective brother while we were growing up.

We both laughed, internally reminiscing our teen years, feeling nostalgic of a time that would never come back. It was incredible how I convinced myself all of those years that I didn't miss Gemma, but seeing her and talking to her like that, made me realise just how much I did.

Before she could walk away, I surprisingly engulfed her in one last hug, whispering a simple 'thank you' in her ear and just as we were about to pull away, a familiar voice boomed from the now opened door.

"Harry, mate, how are you?" Liam nearly shouted as he approached us. "I just got the news." He lowered his voice when he stood in front of me, unexpectedly pulling me into a quick hug. There were a lot of hugs going around that day, except one from the only person I missed the most; Mel.

"Yeah, I'm good now, she'll wake up any minute." I said in relief. "That's good, mate." He smiled and looked at my very pregnant sister. "And who might this beauty be?" He asked in a sweet tone, if I didn't know him better I would say he was trying to flirt with her.

"This is my sister, Gemma. Gemma, this is my flatmate, Liam" I introduced them and they shook hands, both smiling at each other. "Really nice to finally meet you, Gemma. Harry here has told me a lot about you." He smiled.

I haven't actually, but he knew everything that had happened between us, so I guessed this was his way of trying to make emends for us. Gemma looked at him surprised and with wide eyes, quickly glancing at me and then back at Liam.

"He has?" She asked in shock. "Yeah, absolutely." Liam answered honestly and smiled that charming smile only he knew how to do it, winning Gemma's heart in seconds. She just looked at me, guilt flooding her features and I wished she would just let all of that go. I knew I did.

"Well, I guess I should be going then." Gemma announced. "See you later Gems." I waved, watching her Mel's room. It pained me to see her leaving so soon, but I knew this wasn't the last time I would see her. We had a lot to make up for. I couldn't lose her again, she was my only family now.

"Hey, man." Liam called. "How are you holding up?" He patted my shoulder, taking a quick glance towards Mel, who slept peacefully on her bed, with tubs coming out of her arms and one in her nose. She looked so peaceful, yet so fragile.