CHAPTER 26

I left the small room they held me in to question me, feeling as miserable as I could be. Not only had I had a vaginal and full body exams, which showed that I had a serious concussion and that I was, indeed, raped by Niall,  but I also had tell everything that happened two nights ago, without leaving any details out. It was torture and the only thing that helped me get through it was the fact that I'd be able to see Harry after that. That, if Luke decided he wouldn't press any charges against him.

It felt like telling them made everything more real, after all, I was still trying to convince myself that none of that had happened, but reliving it burned the memory permanently on my mind. I was feeling physically weak because, not only I hadn't have anything to eat or drink in hours, but I also felt like I was at a dead end street. I didn't have anywhere to go.

I felt alone and I didn't like it. I've spent my entire life trying to avoid this feeling, but there was nothing that could be done to change how I terribly and miserably felt in that moment. I didn't want to feel like that, I wanted to go back to my normal self. I wanted to feel fine again. I didn't want to be haunted by the memories of that night anymore. It had been two days and I was already full of it; of the stares, of the judgment, of the pity looks.

On my way back to the front office I felt like all eyes were on me, like everyone was judging and pitying the poor, weak, little girl who was raped and now was feeling helpless. Although, I was feeling weak, I still wanted to show everyone that I could be strong and get over this, but I didn't have it in me, I didn't have the strength, I was crumbling down with each step I took and all I hoped for was to at least keep standing and not fall to the ground.

I averted my eyes from the floor and caught the sight of those beautiful, emerald eyes, cautiously watching my every move. Those eyes that comforted me and assured me that everything was going to be alright, were now sad and melancholic. They seemed just as helpless as I was.

I ran towards him, ignoring the fact that I tripped on my own feet and almost fell. As soon as I reached him, I engulfed him in a hug, making him step back and wrap his long arms firmly around my waist, as I nuzzled my face on the crook of his neck and breathed his familiar scent, now mixed with the metallic smell of blood that was tinging his clothes and skin.

"I'm so sorry you had to go through this, babygirl, but you understand that it was necessary, right?" He whispered in my ear and I nodded, not being able to step away from his embrace just yet, as a few tears fell down my cheeks and I sniffled quietly. "Shh... it's going to be fine." Harry assured me.

As I stepped back, I saw that Luke had joined us. He kept staring at the ground and didn't even acknowledge us. "Sir? Will you be pressing charges against Harry Edward Styles for destruction of property?" An officer asked Luke, but he didn't move. Was he actually going through with this?

After a few seconds of silence, I saw Luke nodding his head, confirming what I never thought he would do. "You can't be serious, Luke!" I scolded, taking a step towards him, but being held back by Harry's reassuringly hand on my wrist. Luke kept quiet and the officer went to his desk to deal with the paperwork.

"Luke?" I called and he slowly averted his stare from the floor to look into my eyes. "I'm so sorry, Mel." He furrowed his eyebrows. "Don't apologise to me! Apologise to the man that you're going to put in jail for defending me! Your best friend! Your sister, Luke! You're ruining his life and future!" I yelled at him, pointing back at Harry, who was absentmindedly playing with my fingers.

Luke had an apologetic look on his face and glossy eyes, but I couldn't let him go through with that. "I'm sorry, but you have to understand that if I do this, the insurance will pay to fix everything. You know I don't have the money to refurbish the whole shop, I wouldn't do this if I had it." He held his head down in shame.