CHAPTER 11

I got up the table as fast as I could and headed straight to the door. I couldn't torture myself like that anymore. I couldn't stay in a relationship that basically consisted on friends having sex now and then. I didn't want, nor asked for that in first place.

Yet, he still managed to infect every single cell of my body. His touch, his scent, his gaze had enough effect to prove to myself that I couldn't do that. I was not a 'friends with benefits' type of girl. I tried, and believe me, I wished that it all worked out, because nothing would make me happier than being a carefree person, who would also spend a lot of time with Harry, without getting attached like a stupid, foolish, needy girl.

The cold air was thin in my lungs and the pavement was harsh below my feet, I could feel the freezing wind tearing up my eyes and each tear that rolled down my checks burned like acid.

I didn't understand why I was crying. I told myself loads of times that I've felt nothing for him, that he was just a distraction from my own boring life, but I knew better than that. I knew that I couldn't deny the constant attraction that I had towards him, he was like the negative pole of a magnet and I was the positive. Or was it the other way?

All I could think was how much I wanted to turn around, go back, sit down with him and just talk for hours, just being in his presence would be enough. No, it wouldn't. I reminded myself of the main reason that I've left. I left because I couldn't just sit there and pretend like we were just good friends. I didn't want to be just friends, I wanted to feel the undeniable pull and let myself be drifted towards him, let him do whatever he wanted to do with me, I wanted to be his and only his.

Thankfully, my feet didn't obey my thoughts as they dragged me farther from the small restaurant. I heard my name being called once or twice, but I didn't bother to look back, because if I did, I wouldn't be able to keep up with my brave act of leaving him. I hope he understood that I was leaving for good and I didn't want him to follow me or try to see me again.

If he were to follow me, if he were to insist on being whatever we were, I was sure that I would cave in. I would be his anything. Despite meeting him only two days ago and going out with him only once, – if that even count as going out - I was already missing him. There was nothing more that I wanted then to feel him again, but I couldn't let it take over me, because if I did, I would certainly be left torn and I surely wasn't ready for another heartbreak.

Without even thinking where I was going, my feet took the path back to my apartment building. It would be a quick 10-minute walk thanks to the small size of the town which was basically a big campus, and I didn't mind it at all, I really needed the time on my own to think things through.

Within the first 2 minutes of my walk, his black Range Rover started following my slow rhythm through the roadside, until he rolled his window down and called my name.

"Mel, please don't do this. Come back into the car, you're freezing!" Harry shouted from the inside of his car, while I kept on walking without looking at him. I had to focus, I wasn't going to let myself give in to him. I was stronger than that. Was I?

"Harry, I can't be what you want me to be, so just leave me alone, ok?" My head was down and my hair created a curtain, hiding my face so he wouldn't see my tears, although I was sure he could hear the sadness from my voice.

"What do you mean leave you alone? Don't be foolish, just come back and we'll finish our lunch." He said nonchalantly, even annoyed if you will, like everything was fine, which just ignited a small fire inside of me, instead of only sadness, I was starting to get angry.

"Just leave me alone, for Christ's sake!" I shouted at him, praying that he would just get the message and leave. Instead, he did the exact opposite. He stopped the car and got out, leaving it running. He took large steps towards me, until his hands reached my shoulders and grabbed them, abruptly stopping me from my path and turning me to face him.